Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problem

• Please log in to reply

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
After getting back home today I turn my computer on and it wont even go past the bios. It stalled when looking for primary and secondary devices. So I decided to unplug everything and see if it works and it worked. Added both hard drives and windows booted fine. But when I plugged in the DVD-ROM and Cd burner it would go past bios but then say DISK failure, please insert boot disk. I unplugged the burner and tried it with only the DVD ROM, same thing, then with nothing but only the cord plugged into the secondary slot on the mobo and still the same thing. Then I unplugged the cord out of the secondary slot on mobo and now comp works fine. I just dont have DVD-ROM or my CD Burner. Can someone help me out and tell me whats going on? I dont know if its the mobo, the wire or the devices, but if something is plugged into the secondary slot; even just the cord, the comp dosnt seem to like it. They were all working fine last night. And the comp still works fine now with the DVD-ROM and CD Burner unplugged. So what is the problem?
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would try checking n BIOS to see what your boot priorities are set to it should show you a list that should go 1 HDD , 2 floppy, 3 CD-rom , 4 other boot devices.

Im hoping thats just the problem, probably isnt but you never know, an odd problem though you usually need to break it yourself to make it stop working.

csu266

csu266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the reply,
I fixed it somehow. I had the HDD's plugged into Primary and the DVD-ROM and CD Burner plugged into secondary. Switched both of them and works fine now. I am not sure why all of a sudden it didnt like the DVD and cd burner in the secondary since its been working fine for the past 6 months.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Computers can be fussy beasts at times. Glad you got it fixed, if you have anymore problems just come back we are glad to help.