Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player stopped streaming

• Please log in to reply

Darlene C

Darlene C

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I have the same problem as these two gentlemen at this thread.

http://www.geekstogo...opic=81431&st=0

That is how I arrived at this forum, by typing the Topic Description in goggle. It has been streaming alright for a few years. It just stopped recently. Not only has it stopped streaming on news clips or other radio pages that has it's own player using WMP. I subscribe to Coast to Coast and it plays on WMP. It always played until about 2 weeks ago. Now everything comes up but then it turns red and won't play. On some it tells me WMP cannot open this file because the path was not typed correctly. I haven't changed anything I can think of and haven't put any patches on recently because I can not get them, (long story) no sp1 or sp2 so no more patches. Lots of security patches before sp2 that they called hot fixes, but showed up in control panel as part of sp1. It broke my computer that is why I did a System Restore and never touched sp1 or sp2 again.
I know I am making this a long story but I am self taught and pretty old. I have no one else to ask. Some of the things you were telling the other gentlemen in the other thread were over my head. Can you help me please? Maybe in a simple language. I can play a wav. or mp3 file that is on my computer with WMP but no radio. I have Windows XP Home. I also have WinAmp and JetPlayer. But I need the WMP for radio and streaming my Coast to Coast. Thanking you ahead of time. Darlene

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I looked at the other thread, and the advice is good. To clear the temporary internet files and cookies, open internet explorer, tools, internet options, then the general tab delete the temp files and cookies. I copied this from Keith's response in the other thread...On a web page, click tools, internet options, on general click delete cookies, click delete files, tick include offline content, click clear history, confirm, close IE

Open media Player, click tools then options then performance, check video acceleration is on, check the buffer size is set to 20 seconds, click apply

(my settings...and it works fine, are detect connection speed and default buffer, Keith says to select your connection speed )....Put the dot for choose connection speed in choose, select a speed( from the drop down) well above your line speed, click apply

Click file types (tab), click select all , click apply, close Media Player, try to view a stream like any of the videos from Yahoo Music for your location

I use internet streaming a lot at work. I can listen to radio stations throughout the world as I do my work. One time I couldn't get it to work (I have W2K Pro at work) and I ended up doing a repair of internet explorer to fix it. I verified my speakers, my audio volume wasn't muted etc etc. When I ran out of things to try, I repaired IE, and it worked. We have a guide for that as a sticky post at the top of this forum.

Darlene C

Darlene C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Auston_O for getting back to me, I have tried all of the things mentioned above but they did not work. I make it a habit to empty my temporary files before closing down and delete all but 6 cookies, two that I subscribe to and 4 links that my husband has trouble logging onto. I have run my virus protection, adaware, spybot, and spyware blaster. I have checked that all protocols are checked in networking in WMP and put HTTP on autodetect. Video acceleration is on full. Looking back at my letter to you there are two things that I remembered that I did that might have contributed to the radio not streaming and they are 1. I bought Desktop X from Wincustomize, It puts widgets and gadgets on your desktop. They use scripting in most of these. The media players that I downloaded mostly didn't work, but one that did said it used WMP 9.4 or something and might not work. I tried it anyway and I have WMP 8 in my Windows XP. It didn't work and I think maybe this messed up some of the things on the WMP. #2. The other thing I tried was to update my WMP 8 to WMP10 which was all they offered on Windows update. It started to update and then it stopped and said something was wrong and left it like that.

Somewhere I read to uninstall WMP in windows components in the control panel. It was not listed there but I did notice something in my regular Control Panel and it was a Windows Media Format Runtime, I never noticed this there before, so I googled Windows Media Format Runtime and came to this same thread again. Terrance in this thread <http://www.geekstogo...ic=81431&st=15> mentioned that he found this in Tune Up 2006 and out of frustration uninstalled it. So after many weeks of trying everything I read, I did the same and it did not uninstall but it rolled back and now I can get streaming radio again but still can not get some other things. For instance my film clips that worked a few weeks ago, some will work and some will come up with just the audio. Both could be WMV side by side, one works and one I just get the audio.

I also can not see the film clips that have AVI, ASF, ASX in the descriptions, and haven't been able to get any film clips that someone mails to me. When before I was able to.

Just today I went to a site that had the moving water that I could see before in a CloudEight Acpression page and can't see it now, it just came up blank. Yet I can still see it in my stationery It said if you are having trouble viewing this go to Java and download it. Now I have java 1.4 on my computer but also have Windows Virtual machine. Java is unchecked and I don't want to download the new version of Java if it is going to mess up Windows Virtual machine.

I think it is something like this that could be wrong, Some small thing, because the Windows player is working for the most part now, but this is still driving me crazy.

Thanks for putting up with me and my problems.

Darlene

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try updating your wmp codecs. Go to M$ http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en
For avi you need divx codec. You can get that at www.divx.com. For .wmv files I use windowd media player 9. For most others I use k lite I got from afterdawn.com.

There are alternate media players out there. I got one that uses windows classic media player 6.4 at www.afterdawn.com. You have to register (just like here).

Edited by austin_o, 23 December 2005 - 10:19 AM.

Darlene C

Darlene C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you austin_o, I have been ill since Christmas Eve and only today got on the computer. I am going to work on some of the things you suggested as soon as I feel better.

One question, (quote)" There are alternate media players out there. I got one that uses windows classic media player 6.4 at www.afterdawn.com"(quote). If I got this Media Player, would it replace my Windows Version 8, or would it be like having more than one player like WinAmp, JetAudio,or Music Match? Which I already have? Would it be able to open say, a news clip that opens with Windows Media Player?
Thanks again,
Darlene

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You can install the media player (it is called wmp classic) and use it independently of other media players. When you go to open any clip, you can right click and select the "open with" option and choose the media player of your choice. I have found that some .wmv clips don't display correctly in wmp9 (I had wmp10, but rolled back to wmp9 because I like it better). In this case, although I have wmp9 set up as the default player for the .wmv so if I double click a clip, wmp9 opens. If it is one of the ones that won't display correctly, I close it and then right click select the other player. Afterdawn.com is an excellent resource for all things video.

Darlene C

Darlene C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi austi_O,

I did a lot of reading, forums and google searches. I wasn't going to let this go with my Windows Media Player not playing. Here is what I did, I only had the Windows Media Runtime in the control panel, and couldn't remember seeing it there before. In one of my google searches someone was having the same problem as I was. I kept coming back to this particular thread, which was here whenever I would do a google search of anything to do with the WMP. He tried everything and when nothing worked out of frustration tried to uninstall Windows Media Runtime from the control panel, well it didn't uninstall it rolled back. So I finally tried that and mine rolled back also, to what version I haven't a clue. But most of my streaming media, like Coast to Coast started playing again. But not some of the news pages that were showing a clip and some radio stations, also most of my film clips were not working, just the audio.
They were all showing before, so there was more work to do. I had three things left to try, direct x 9 from Microsoft, K lite Codec pack or WMP 6 Codecs.
Well I installed WMP 6 Codecs and now everything is working. I hope anyone else out there who has this problem benefits from this. Thank you for all of your time and help I really appreciate it. Later I am going to install the WMP6 classic being it will not mess up my WMP 8, which is what I think I have working now.

I think I must have borked my codecs when I was trying out my new Desktop X, from Wincustomize, because they had a lot of media players that I was trying out. I think I also know what a codec is now that I did so much reading. Thanks also for the tip about AfterDawn.com.
Darlene