Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

email problems

• Please log in to reply

al4444

al4444

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi again

If you think you can help please go here. Someone tried but didn't follow thru.

http://www.geekstogo...id=468784&st=0

Thanks.......

..........al

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably becoming a member of the elite banned group has prevented them from following through

Are you sure all settings for server requires authentication are in place

al4444

al4444

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Keith

And thanks for the reply. Server settings are all in place and working from the ISP. Settings on the computers are also correct. Everything is as it should be. We can receive emails but are unable to send from our home email. We spent several hours on the phone with tech support from our ISP making sure everything was communicating properly. They seem to think it may be a windows problem caused by some kind of virus that infected my wife's computer and spread to mine. Both computers have the same problem. We can send and receive email from alternate email sites ie Yahoo, Lycos. I ran an Adaware and a Hijack this and posted them on the other thread. AVG and Panda scans have both been run and we seem to be virus free.Everything else on both computers is working fine except for the sending of emails from our home ISP email account. IT was suggested by the tech rep from our ISP to reformat and obtain new email addresses. We can do that but only as a last resort. We're hoping to be able to fix this without such a drastic step. I can run new Adawares and Hijack this scans and post them here if it will help. We're not totally computer illiterate, but this goes way beyond anything I've ever ran into.
Thank you for looking at this

........al

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have Microsoft Outlook then there is an option to open Word, click help the detect and repair, tick restore my shortcuts and this will repair all Office programmes

There is also an option to test account settings, this may give a clue when it generates the error message

You may be able to set up a new account to see if that will work

Another option is to look at backing up the e-mails you have, then deleting the accounts and then setting the same accounts up, odd but it sometimes works, especially if they have not been reset since the virus

You can consider XP repair, this will remove SP2 and all Windows updates, then you can re-install those, SP2 would then re-install Outlook Express if that is the mail programme you use

Back at 1pm US - 6pm UK so you can let me know what you want to do, or just post back and someone else may pick up on it

al4444

al4444

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Keith

I use netscape for my email, other computer uses outlook express. We've tested account settings on both, tried to restore XP to a date months past. We've also tried thru our ISP to delete the email accounts and start fresh, didn't work. I'm unfamiliar with opening Word in outlook express, tried but unable to find it. This is sure puzzling.

Thanks again

..........al

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What firewall do you have

You will only find Word if you have Microsoft Office

al4444

al4444

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Keith

Neither computer has Microsoft Office. One computer has a Norton firewall that is not in use as it may conflict with AVG and the other has no firewall. I have read that firewalls can conflict with some virus protection systems so I never gave much thought to having one installed. I run my AVG virus scans and Adaware scans weekly. I personally will not open an email attachment, and my wife I do believe has learned her lesson (hopefully).

........al

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should have a firewall

http://www.filehippo...zonealarm_free/

XP has one but it only blocks incoming data, this one will block traffic in both directions

After you install it, click start, control panel, security centre, to turn the XP firewall off

Then click this link

http://edit.europe.y...=&promo=&.last=

Fib about the location, UK postal codes are 2 letters one number then 1 number and 2 letters

AB1 1AB

Set up an account then click options, top right, mail forwarding / pop access, click pop access, click save, you should then see pop success, sign out of Yahoo

Open Outlook Express, click new account, fill in the details, the server details are

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk and smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk and it also needs a tick for server requires authentication

Compose a messsage and send it

This is to try to tie down where the error is

al4444

al4444

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Keith

I downloaded and installed zone alarm on both computers. I set up 2 new accounts with yahoo.uk, one for each computer. I changed the email settings on both computers for the new yahoo.uk email settings( both the netscape computer and the outlook express computer). I sent an email from each and both were sent and received just fine. It seems to work perfectly with the yahoo.uk POP3 and SMTP settings. Does this mean my problem is with my ISP?

..........al

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will be worth explaining to the ISP that you can access e-mail now

I need to scratch my head on this, it's 6:20 am here

At least you can access mail now, hopefully you managed to get good addresses

I will also consult a couple of the other Trusted Techs to see what the likely causes are

Advertisements

al4444

al4444

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Keith

Thanks for all your help. I had to shut down zonealarm to access the internet this morning. It allowed it last night, but this morning I hit the proverbial brick wall when trying to access the internet with both computers. I'll keep looking here if you come up with anything more on this. If it's got you a little stumped, imagine how a novice like me feels.

...........al

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open ZA then click firewall then zones, right click each entry, click remove, reboot. When Windows loads, ZA should say new network found, choose keep in internet, see how that runs

Also, click program control, expand the window full screen, check the e-mail programmes have a row of green ticks, if there is any difference, click it, it will give 3 options, click allow

al4444

al4444

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Keith

Thank you again for your assistance. Everything seems to be working OK now except the sending of email from my home ISP. It's too late to get anyone knowledgeable on the phone from their tech support this afternoon, so I'll be trying them on Monday. I'll send another post on this thread to let you know how I made out with them. Have a great weekend.

..............al

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Presently, the concensus is that it is an ISP setting so perhaps you could post what they say when you have spoken to them

Perhaps you can get acceptable e-mail addresses with Yahoo UK

Yahoo.com charge a fee for using pop access so unless the .co.uk is a major incovenience you can continue with that, it also has the advantage of being accessible from any computer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Another possibility is that a virus may be sending a large number of e-mails from the ISP mail accounts and there is an automatic cut off being applied

You may want to run through this as a check

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum