Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe - application failed to initialize properly

• Please log in to reply

twentymilesup

twentymilesup

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

I have a 2-week old Dell Inspiron laptop. I have all spyware/virus programs installed (Pest Patrol, Spybot S&D, AdAware, PcIllin), but tonight when i started my computer I got "explorer.exe - application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). click on OK to terminate application" - I tried to do the whole "run explorer.exe w/ task manager" but it does not work at all. I'm writing this from my boyfriend's computer b/c I cannot get ANY icons to appear on my desktop.

Please, please help. Brand new computer - do not know how this happened. I have Windows XP.

Thanks so much.....

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. New computer, and you didn't do anything to cause it? My first suggestion, since it is NEW and should be under warranty with Dell, would be to contact Dell tech support for some personal assistance (don't they advertise that on TV?).

twentymilesup

twentymilesup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No, actually I hadn't seen that on TV...but regardless I did contact Dell customer support. Said it was most likely a Microsoft issue...and it resulted in me completely reformatting my computer as though it was...once again...brand new. I hope that doesn't happen again - wasn't too happy/thrilled especially since it is so new.

Happened right after I installed/used Office 2003. Strange...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you run Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

The custom option will let you choose the ones you want, though you should select all critical the ones and run it until there are no critical ones to download

twentymilesup

twentymilesup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I did, thank you! Of course, after I reformatted everything. Dell support took me through a few patches in Safe Mode, but the problem wouldn't go away .... hence reformatting (if that's what you call it). Now I'm trying to fix my old laptop as well (that's another post on this website - w/ my HijackThis! log. Winfixer is baaaaack!).

You guys are simply wonderful! Thank you!!!!!