Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Rights?

• Please log in to reply

anurag

anurag

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am working on windows and I want this solution for all OS's from windows 98 to windows XP.
I want my folder or file to be password protected.
I dont want to hide it.
I dont want anyone to delete it.
I dont want to encrypt it because another program reads it for its own application.

Summary :
People can read the file but cannot alter it or delete it. Only the person having the password can alter or delete it.
The administrator's computer can be used by all people so please do not suggest anything from administrator's perspective. Assume there is no administrator.Please try to avoid giving references about any available tools doing this(only freely available tools are welcome).

I need a C code for my problem if possible but if you can tell me the concept atleast , it would do me great help.

So what I want from you is either a way already available in windows or atleast a concept.

Please mail me. Desperately waiting for your reply. If by chance you are not able to suggest anything (which I dont thing is possible ) , please tell me where to contact .

Thanks a lot..

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello!

There is no one answer for what you are trying to do for all Windows OS. Problems you are going to run into are numerous. First off, are we talking text files (like Word or Wordperfect)? A super simple solution is to right click the file, go to properties and make it a read only file. Now, you suggest another program reads it for it's application, so in this case I'll assume you are not talking just text files. Without using administrator rights, you are probably not going to accomplish your goal.

Can you give more info on what the file type is, and what kind of application runs it? It would be helpful to have more info to try and find a solution for you. :tazz: