Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird

• Please log in to reply

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Ok, so I just did a fresh install of 98. I get everything loaded (drivers, win updates etc) and then turn the machine off. I start it up this morning and I get a wucrtupd error and a wmiexe error. I know these are valid windows files but why would they be giving me problems after a fresh install? Are some of the updates causing an issue? Also it said that the registry was messed up so it rebooted and supposedly fixed it. It started fine the next time but did it again on the next restart. Shed some light?? Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I had tried this already but I'll do it again and see what happens.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok so I did that and got a BSOD on restart when explorer tried to load. I did 2 fresh installs and it does the same thing every time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what was the bsod? the exact wording if you can

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok I'll see if it will do it again. I noticed it did it after Norton A/V was loaded. It was some sort of Fatal Exception in OE blah blah. I've taken norton off and am running WinDoctor from Norton System Works on it atm. If I see it again I'll write it down. Again I appreciate the time.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
here's the latest: System Works found 1 misc. problem and corrected it. Then it said it was "optimizing" the registry. Reboot. "windows had a problem accessing the registry. Windows will now restart". Reboot. Everything seems fine. *knock on wood* I'm just curious why it would have problems after a fresh install. I'll just reboot it randomly during the day to see if it still does it.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
GAH!!! It gives me the same error on every restart. Windows cannot access the registry. I did another scanreg and it still does it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so you did a fresh reinstall...so there can't be much on the system....

can you boot into safe mode at all? or safe mode with command prompt?

can you try runing chckdsk /r

also..you may want to get a 98 bootdisk ( www.bootdisk.com) and run fdisk to completely format the drive before installing 98 again...

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I ran fdisk before I did both installs. I did some searching on M$ and removed the critical update notfication update which is the wucrtupd error. I'll see if that works. I can get into safe mode and everything. There's nothing on the system except for updates. and 2 doc files. I'll also try a chkdsk /r. If I have to do a new install (I hope not) I'm going to Dban it then install heh

Edited by dnbfreak, 08 December 2005 - 11:21 AM.

Advertisements

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok so I'm just getting the cannot access registry error now. I'm going to try this : http://support.micro...kb;en-us;193903

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me know how that goes

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok so I did that. 2 restarts and no errors. I'm going to let it sit for about 10 mins then restart and see what happens.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok I think you can close this thread now. Thanks for the help dsenette!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we don't close threads...just in case someone comes along with the same problem

congratulations of figuring it out!