Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup programs

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hello,

i am wondering what the minimum required startup programs for windows xp are? my friend wants to edit the config to open the minimum required, but doesnt want to mess anything up :tazz:

which ones are required? a google search didnt really help me as much as i had hoped.

any help largely appreciated!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There are a few that are absolutely required by Windows, and then there may be others that are required by your video card or a special program you have installed. I can help you determine which ones are needed.

BTW, why does your friend want to edit the programs that start up?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

There are a few that are absolutely required by Windows, and then there may be others that are required by your video card or a special program you have installed. I can help you determine which ones are needed.

BTW, why does your friend want to edit the programs that start up?

i think he is tryingto load the bare minimum so that he has as much memory available for gaming as possible. (not sure why he doesnt just buy more ram :tazz: )

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Download Spybot - Search & Destroy. Install it and run it.

When you get to the main screen, in the menu at the top, click on Mode and select advanced.
In the menu to the left, you will now see 3 additional catagories: Settings, Tools, and Info & License. Click on Tools. Click on System Startup in the menu to the left. Click on the 2 arrows all the way to the right if you don't see a beige-colored window.

When you highlight an item, you can see what it is. These items are what start when you turn your computer on. They may or may not have a description. To disable an item, UNcheck it. If you need help in deciding, you can Export a log for me to see what you have.

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
thanks! i will forward that on to him and post it when he gets back to me