Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox + wmp = no work

• Please log in to reply

flush

flush

• Pip
  • 9 posts
any page that requires the wmp plugin, firefox wont play it, saying an unknown plugin is required. I have re downloaded wmp, no work; uninstalled firefox, installed wmp, reinstalled firefox, still no work. firefox had a fix on its website, but that didnt work either. please help. btw, the wmp plugin works fine in IE.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it will work fine in IE because IE and WMP are both MS. You can get the WMP plug in for firefox it works, can occasionally throw a hissy fit when you go on some sites that have similar scripts to what it recognises. Or i use the IE tab on my firefox there are still a few sites that wont make there sites easily compatible to non IE users so its nice to have you just right click on the page ans select view in IE and it opens an IE tab inside firefox.

Its kinda nifty, you might also have a corrupted download of firefoc you might try downloading it again, i assume you are using the latest version of firefox(1.5) it should work but they are still offering 1.07 it works fine.

flush

flush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I do have the wmp plugin, but it never works in firefox. ever, for any site, ever. I deleted and downloaded firefox AGAIN and it still wont work.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I was meaning the media player connectivity plug in, it helps relieve some of the problems of sites that refuse to make their sites tom compatible to anyone but IE users. You might also try the IE tab extension it lets you use IE within firefox i use it for some of the stubborn pages fortunatley there arent many of them left but it is sometimes necesary.

flush

flush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok, so now Ive downloaded the media center plugin, it asks me to reboot, so i do, and when windows starts up it says explorer.exe error, and wont boot. Im in safe mode now.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If explorer.exe crashes hit control alt delete, then go to file the run and type explorer, should get it going. It sometimes happens when you install things but ive never had to reboot for a firefox plugin. You did download it from https://addons.mozil...e-13a3a9e97384} not anywhere else, try booting up again it rarely does it twice. If it installs unistall anything that you installed before and then boot up again.

flush

flush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
did all of the above, still no work. did a trend micro housecall, nothing. called tech support, they couldnt get anything. my roomie used to do tech support, dicked around with it for a while, nothing. I ended up doing system restore back two days, now it works. but I still dont know what caused it specifically. My roomie is convinced its a turd windog left behind. stinky windog.