Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Stealing my Bandwidth

• Please log in to reply

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hi, i have a 2mb BB connection with BT, i always test my download and upload speeds via many speed tests such as "adsl guide" and i would usually get around 1500-1800 downstream which i was happy with, but for the past 2-3 weeks i havent got higher than 400kb/s this is slightly worrying because i dont think BT are having any problems or maintenance work done... could someone be stealing my bandwidth? if so how can i check? hijack log wouldnt show anything would it, i have also replaced my phone lines to make sure it wasnt damaged lines... it wasn't

Help would be much appreciated

P.S my norton subscription ran out a few weeks ago and i have been a little short on money and havent been able to pay for the new subscription... but have downloaded AVG free version.... thought id mention that

P.P.S i have lots of spyware ad aware programs run on a regular basis and my Spybot S+D program keeps telling me i have

Windows.ActiveDesktop
and
NewDotNet... i click remove and it removes the windows.ActiveDesktop but not the NewDotNet
although every scan shows these everytime so niether are being deleted so it would seem.

... thanks for any help i may recieve

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Go to the trend micro site and run a full scan for viruses from them. I would install Avast it has a real time monitor for securing your computer from attacks and prevent communications of a malicous nature going in and out of your computer. I wouldnt get norton resubscribed either its useless.

BT arent doing any maintenance my speeds are fine 2.2mbps as usual. Do you have wireless, if you do you might want to turn on mac filtering and put in a WPA encryption key.

If you still think it might be malware check the malware forum out and follow the guidelines on there.

If you have a wired network no one else can be using your internet, do you have more than one computer on the network, running any kind of download or surfing on another machine will lower the speed evaluation. They also arent greatly accurate tests, it will tell you on the routers home page in settings what the speed is, if you are using that bloomin awful voyager 205 you might try turning it upside down. (i know sounds daft but the thing is a piece of rubbish and it likes being backwards) meh.

Hope that helps if not post again, and im sure me or someone else will know of something else for you to try.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could call bt and have them test your line just to be sure it's not the line....just because they aren't doing a scheduled maintenance...doesn't mean the line is good.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah they are a bunch of fly buggers sometimes, my net speed was up and down like a yoyo for like two months when they were "upgrading" me up to 2.2 megs at least there was a discount, BT tech support is also really good its a live chat style deal and the guys no there stuff and arent to bothered about telling you what you should do rather than what they have been tolf to tell you.

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hey warriorscot thanks for your time bud, That avast looks really good, probably upgrade to PRO when financial circumstances change (next week). I ran an trend micro house keeping scan and it found a few things 1 couldnt be deleted (image below) i think its the newdotnet thing i was talking about..

As for my modem/router its a 2wire Gateway wireless network 1250, i have a laptop using the wireless feature, but i think it has a encryption key, how can i check? anyway thanks for help and here is the image of the trend removal failure

Posted Image

It says click here for manual removal instructions but it doesnt have any for this file as of yet..

cheers,

whitey

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
for the new.net

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

as far as checking to see if you have any kind of wireless security enabled...log into your router and check and see if there is a WEP key enabled

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hi thanks,

I have pretty much all the programs that are in the malware guide and run them regulaly
Here is a link to my hi-jackthis.log Hijack log

If all seems good, il give BT a ring tommorow.... i actually just remembered my brother accidently kicked the Box (junction box.. if tahts what its called) where my BT and Sky TV etc is plugged in... maybe that has something to do with it

anyway thanks guys..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should be fine they are usually pretty solid, the pro version of avast is mostly for companies Alwil software that make avast dont believe that home users should have to pay for a good AV, the logic on there part is good most of the attacks on the companies that they are paid to protect are attacked by the legions of zombie home PCs so helping home users stay safe helps them earn more money.

You should be able to access the router from your internet browser and then go to the wireless security section of the router and check what kind of security it has on, or you can lookon the laptop on whatever utility you use to connect wireless, so its either the windows WZC service or a third party app, either should tell you.

The malware guys should get you sorted on getting your system clean and avast and spybot will make sure it stays clean hopefully.

The router menu will also show you its connection speed as well, you can access the menu by typing 192.168.2.1 in the adress bar, usually that adress if you have the manual for the router it will tell you.

The wireless component of your network is the most vulnerable to attack neighbours will often use it unintentionally if it isnt secure and your router signal is stronger than their routers signal. And then you get people that will break through the encryption to use your internet so you want ot secure it as best possible with a good password and change it every now and again.

If you go on and the internet is slow go on router menu and go to the mac adress age or mac adress filtering page most will show you a list of MAC adresses for all computers connected to the network if you have one connected that isnt your or one extra you know someone is using your connection on the fly.

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Ok thanks, il check

ok i checked devices connected it has 3 my PC, Laptop and my ps2 so that looks ok the ones that are active are highlighted *just mine at the moment) you said BT do a live chat?? i might give it ago or ring them tommorow

Edited by whitey_VTS, 11 December 2005 - 09:50 AM.