Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Anne

Anne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am trying to set up a rule for a computer using Outlook 2003 on our network (Windows 2K server w/Exchange 2K, 15 clients), but it can only be run manually. When I try to implement the rule to run at all times, I receive the following error message:

"One or more rules could not be uploaded to Exchange server and have been deactivated. This could be because some of the parameters are not supported or there is insufficient space to store all of your rules."

The Microsoft knowledgebase gives information (Article ID 886616) regarding the size of the rule, along with possible workarounds that can be made, which I have tried. Before I created this new rule, this computer had one rule on it that has been run in the past, but it won't run now. The one rule was a simulation for the out of office assistant. The new rule I'm trying to implement is not big or complicated, only trying to delete those e-mails that are still coming through after our AV program has stripped the e-mail of its virus. We have other computers that are configured exactly like this one where there is no problem running this rule and other rules.

MS says to shorten the name of the rule (I have, it's called "spam"), to clear the "on this machine only" check box (it wasn't checked), delete old rules (there's only one other rule), combine similar rules (none to combine). There is one other method it mentions that I need to ask a question about: "Move your personal folders (.pst) file to a location that has the shortest path name." The .pst file is on our server, however, there is an archive file on the C drive of the computer that appears to be the actual access point of Outlook. If I moved the archive file, but not the actual .pst file, do you think this would work? I don't think I should be moving the .pst file from the Server.

I also checked Article #241325 (previously published under Q241325), that addresses the Exchange side of the problem. It says to create DL's to group recipients in rules instead of using individual recipients, keep the number of recipients small in rules, and keep the names of recipients as small as possible. I have no idea how to do any of these 3 things.

It also seems that all of my research results deal only with the size of the rule, although the error message states that it could be that some of the parameters are not supported. Of course, none of it makes sense to me since other computers using Outlook 2003 aren't experiencing any problem. I thought at first maybe it was because it's Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2000 may not support something, but no one else has a problem.

I have made sure that all office updates are current, I've done a detect and repair. This computer belongs to the President and owner of the company (of course!), so ANY suggestions you can give me are definitely welcome!

Thank you!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've had a similar issue here...to save space on exchange...i have everyone set up with a personal folder pst file that is saved in their users drive on a file server (so that their old mails get backed up every night...aren't i nice?)...when the user's created a rule to automatically deliver the mail to that personal folder pst..it would fail....i narrowed it down to a mismapped drive (ad and logon scripts were stepping on each other) and a permissions error...i changed the mapping architecture and fixed the permissions on their users folder...and the rules started working....now...on my laptop...if i set up the same kind of rule...it just doesn't work...don't know why yet

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
That was about the quickest response ever!

It's been quite awhile since I took my networking classes, and I haven't been able to put them to use until this job. How would I check the mapping architecture and permissions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....first...let's check out your network setup...
you say that the pst file for your mail is located on the server...is it in any specific folder on the server? if so do you have that folder mapped on the local machine?

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, the .pst file is in her user file on the Server and she is mapped properly to the file.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
who has permissions to access the folder?
just her and the admin team?

try copying that pst over to her c drive...and reasigning the association within outlook to point to that file... and see if the rules work then..

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, just the admin and her have permission to access her folder.

When I was checking to see where the pst file was located, I used the import/export wizard in Outlook and it pointed to a pst file called outbound.pst located where I said in my previous e-mail. Now I went to that location to copy it (as you instructed me to do) and I find 3 pst files - herlastname.pst, herfirstname.pst and outbound.pst. Since Outlook was going to import the outbound.pst file in the wizard, is that the file I should copy since it must be the most current? I looked at the properties on all 3 files and they all have 2004 dates on the last modification, so I can't tell from that information. Also, I wanted to confirm that I'm going to copy and not move the file as instructed in the Microsoft instructions.

I hope I'm not confusing you with my ramblings!

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Now I'm confused again. When I followed the instructions for moving the pst file that were outlined in the Microsoft Knowledgebase, I couldn't find the path for the pst files the way they instructed me to (right-click Personal Folders (or folder name that appears for your pst file), click Properties, on the General tab click Advanced and note the path and file name of the pst file. When I choose the Advanced button, there isn't a Filename text box that lists the complete path to the file.

So, I went to the mail item in Control Panel, which listed the file name as archive.pst on the C drive (documents and settings-name-local settings-application data-microsoft-outlook-archive.pst. I moved that file to just under documents and settings and changed the mail profile set up as also instructed in the MSKB document. I still got the same error for the rules.

Do you have any other suggestions, or am I doing something wrong?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't thnk youre doing something wrong...but you may be looking for the wrong file....in outlook there's the mailbox folder...then another folder...what's that folder's name

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The navigation pane shows the following:

Mailbox - Her Name
1 custom folder
Deleted items
Drafts
Inbox
8 custom folders
Junk e-mail
Outbox
Sent Items
Search folders
Archive Folders

When I was first looking for the path, the article told me to go the navigation pane and right click on Personal Folders or the folder name that appears for your pst file. I right clicked on Mailbox - Her Name.