Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP very slow start up

• Please log in to reply

pcguyusa

pcguyusa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running XP Pro SP2 with 512 MB RAM. XP boots extremely slow. I get a blank screen with flashing cursor in upper left corner and it sits there for at least 5 minutes (no kidding!) before finally showing the xp splash and booting up. Any ideas why it would take so long??

Advertisements

jpro

jpro

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Do you use any spyware programmes?? :tazz:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had one puter that was doing that because it had built-in networking but no drivers were installed for the network. It seemed that the computer was trying to figure out what the hardware was before booting up. I installed the network drivers but because the network port was not being used it still took 5 seconds to see it wasent being used. I finally disabled the network port in the BIOS so the puter would skip this step and boot a lot faster.

SRX660

pcguyusa

pcguyusa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The integrated NIC has never worked from the start, when it was new! I disabled it in device manager and added a pci nic. I will try disabling it in the BIOS if it will let me and try that. Thanks.

pcguyusa

pcguyusa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I disabled the nic in the BIOS, still no change. It even sits at the blank screen with the cursor before it will go into the setup screen. I also tried a different pci nic with no change.