Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO SIGNAL ON MONITOR, KEYBOARD, AND MOUSE

• Please log in to reply

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Please help.....

I have looked all over for help.

I have no signal on the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The power fan as well as the motherboard fan work fine. Cmos battery works fine.

No beeps from pc and the memory works fine.

I have windows 98
dell dimension 4100
E139761 motherboard

Any suggestions?????

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Spinlax10...

No beeps from pc and the memory works fine.

Are you getting no beeps at all? This could indicate a POST failure which may mean a processor or motherboard failure.

Did this start happening recently? Have you added new hardware or software? If you can, add a little more information about how and when this began to happen.

wannabe1

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wannabe - Thanks for replying.

This happened 3 weeks ago and I've been trying to figure it out since then.

The computer was fine until I opened it up and tried to add more memory. I accidently put the memory stick in upsidedown. Obviously it did not work, so I flipped it right side up and clicked it into place.

When I went to turn it on, the "no signal" message appeared and the keyboard was not lit up.

The two fans i have work fine, the cd drives open and close fine, the hard drive sounds like it is spinning.

The motherboard is just not sending a signal to the monitor and keyboard.

Thanks again....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Spinlax10...

Ok...double check all the cableing, particularly the motherboard power cables. Pull the new RAM out and try to start the machine with just one stick of RAM in the first slot. Make sure the video card (if it's not integrated video) is firmly seated in the slot. You might also try resetting the CMOS...if you need instructions on how to do this, let me know.

wannabe1

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am hoping it is not the motherboard, but maybe i shorted it or something, but then why would the fan work that is plugged off of 3 pings on the motherboard.

the little green light on the motherboard is lit up also, so i know it is receiving power I think.

cables are secured. Only one stick of Ram in the machine. DVD rom and CD/RW rom and floppy drive are all unplugged from motherboard, but still receive power from power supply.

I will need help resetting the CMOS...i think it is something with the jumpers which i tried with no luck.

Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Spinlax10...

I hope it isn't the motherboard, too. It is a possibility, though...trying to put the RAM in upside down may have stressed the board a bit too much.

To reset the CMOS, you will need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No luck. I know the CMOS battery is good because i had it tested.

I tried a new stick of ram. Nothing.

The first 5 sec after I turn on the machine, i can toggle the num lock on and off. Then it stops working. The caps lock does not work at all and the scroll lock led does not work either.

there is a "str led" just above the battery that is lit up on the motherboard?

Any other solutions?

Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Spinlax10...

When you tried to put the new RAM in the first time, did you put enough pressure on it to flex the motherboard and if so, did it flex enough to touch the metal case under it?

This almost sounds like either a broken trace in the board or a short to the case.

wannabe1

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It could have flexed....but there is a rubber stopper between the board and the back of the metal case.

I took everything apart a week ago and took the motherboard out.

I put everything back in and it still didn't work.

I dont know what "broken trace" or short in the case really means.

but why would the fan coming off the motherboard work and the monitor/keyboard not work.

If it is a short is there any way to be sure?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A broken trace means that one or possibly more of the circuit traces (or paths) that are within the board are stretched to the point where they break. This creates an "open" which effectively stops that portion of the circuit from working.

To rule out a short to the case, you could remove the motherboard and enough hardware (HDD, RAM, video card) to start the machine and hook everything up outside the case. If you are able to start the machine outside the case you'll know you're looking for a spot where the motherboard is shorting or touching the metal of the case. If it won't start, I'd almost bet that there is a bad circuit in the board.

Video circuits load through the RAM and so do HIDs (Human Input Devices) such as the keyboard and mouse. A broken trace in this area can sure cause your problems.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 December 2005 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am going to pull the motherboard out of the case, is it ok to just set the motherboard on the carpet?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Carpet would be fine...anything nonconductive. I use a formica table-top. I'm hoping it starts for you, the alternative is not a pretty one.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Looks like it is the alternative. It did not start up when i turned it on. I only have the video card plugged in. and power.

Nothing.

Bummer. I plug in the keyboard and the num lock key works for 5 secs then stops......probably a short in the motherboard.

so now i guess i go out and try to find a new motherboard. Exactly like the one i have??
probably.

Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As long as it's compatable with your processor and RAM...you can get by. You'll probably have to do a repair install of the OS to get things going again with a new motherboard. As a suggestion, when you get the new motherboard, put the RAM in while the board is laying on a flat surface like a table. That way the board can't flex when you press on it.

If you need a little help locating a new board, just give a shout....

wannabe1

Spinlax10

Spinlax10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was just going to ask, since you've been so good so far, if you have any suggestions for a new board.

I understand Dell's are tough because they are special motherboards but i current'y have a Dell Dimension 4100.

5 years old
E139761

REV. A03
AA A10383-205

Thanks,