Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transfers

• Please log in to reply

old momma

old momma

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
need to transfer information on laptop to desktop computer, if we turn off the laptop, we will never get
it back on. what do we need and how do we do it, when we get what we need? also the next problem,
do you know if they make a extenion for the cable that runs from the computer to the monitor? we will
have the computer in one room and the monitor in another.

Advertisements

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I read the similar topics, but I am sorry they did not help me, anything else. Thank You. Brenda

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Hi Brenda. Welcome to GTG.

For transfering the files, Windows has a utility call Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard. The acronym is a bit ironic as it sometimes takes a while, but should get the job done.

If the old computer already has XP on it, great! Otherwise, you will need your Windows XP CD.
If the old computer does not have XP on, you will need your CD.

Also, you will need a method to get the files over to another computer. This can be a DVD or CD burner, or over a network.

Regarding your other question (the monitor) I'm not real sure why you whould want the computer in one room and the monitor in another. In addition to a monitor extension, you would also need extensions for your keyboard and mouse.

Please let me know whether you have your XP CD (or if the laptop has Xp on it), and how you will be transfering the files.
I will then let you know what you have to do.

-Ryan

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thank you rmurphy for answering so fast. The new desktop has xp home, going to put xp pro on it
in the morning like the laptop has on it. Want to hook up labtop to desktop and transfer that away if
we can. I guess this is where the
FAST wizard comes in, but how do I hook up lapto with the desktop computer?
We are putting the computer in one room and the monitor in another room for space and security
reasons at our small auto repair shop. I had forgotten about extensions for the keyboard and the
mouse. maybe wireless will work, Think so. I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but with the
computer in a different room I don't know if it would work. thank you very much. brenda

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Hi Brenda.

Is the Windows XP Pro a retail version or OEM (already on computer) version?

As far as hooking up the two computers, this depends on if they are connected on a network or not. If they are on a network, you will not need any special cables. If they are not on a network, you will need a special type of network cable crossover. Please let me know which method you will be using.

The biggest issue about wireless is far the signal will go. Generally, this is around 8-10 feet.

While I know that they make signal extenders for wireless routers, I am not sure if they make them for wireless mice and keyboards.

-Ryan

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi, again Ryan,
no it is not on a network, I do not know how to do it yet, I do have a hub and a d-link card, I was
going to learn how to do it someday when my health permits it. I work very slow, I am sorry, but
nothing I can do about it now. You said a special crossover cable, would that be the Laplink serial
cable or a serial file transfer cable, I did try out the FAST like you said. I will call around tomorrow
and try to find one. Thank You, we will try the wireless and if it does not work do you know if there
is a cable to extent the cable that goes from computer to monitor?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How much have you got to move

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
none, have put some data on cd's just incase we goof.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

if we turn off the laptop, we will never get
it back on.

Howdy:

This will be your limiting factor.. Even if you manage to get a crossover cable connected, there is a good chance you will need to shutdown both systems once the system is up and running in order for them to "find" each other..

If the laptop has a burner, that would be your best bet..

Murray

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
sorry, read it wrong, about 8 gb.

Advertisements

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
maybe if we just hit restart instead of turning the laptop completly off, maybe that will work?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

maybe if we just hit restart instead of turning the laptop completly off, maybe that will work?

I don't know.. What happens when you shut it down that made you say it wouldn't start up again??

Murray

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would go with burning it to CDR

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have heard of cd, dvd, now what do you mean cdr? It took over 2 hours working with it to get it off
monday morning, so we have just been letting it stay on 24\7.

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I meant to say to get it turned on.