Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning CD's...Can I burn more info to a partialy burned CD? HELP

• Please log in to reply

Kevin46

Kevin46

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am new at this. when you burn CD and only use say 30% of disc space.....is there anyway to go back at another time to add additional information to the CD? The remaining 70 %

Everytime I try to go back and add more music it will not let me do this.

Thanks

Edited by Kevin46, 08 December 2005 - 05:28 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If it is a regular CD R you cannot ever write back to it after you have burned something onto it.

On CD RW discs you can write over what was previously on the disk or add a few files to it.

Kevin46

Kevin46

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I hear that CD RW can only take a couple of reburns before they do not work anymore...is this true?

Thanks for your help. How can I also see if I have double layer recording for DVD's

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you want to write to the disc and be able to add more to it later, you have to do it as Multi-Session. Nero Express has a tickbox for this. XP also supports this technology for CD-R's.

If you don't write to the disc as multi-session when you first write to it, you can't change it to multi-session later, nor will you be able to add anything else to it.

Audio CDs are the exception rather than the rule; for an audio CD to be playable it cannot be multi-session, otherwise you'll have a hybrid disc that no player on the planet will be able to do anything with. Nero will not let you make a multi-sesion audio CD for just this reason. Therefore once it's burnt, that's it. All you can do is rerip the files and make a new disc.

CD-RWs, quality pending, can in theory last as long as regular CD-R's. In reality because the laser of the CD Writer is "attacking" (for want of a better word) the data side of the CD every time you add to or remove from the disc, eventually the surface just wears out. The average CD-RW lcan last around 1000 rewrites, give or take a few hundred either way and how the media is handled.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 December 2005 - 05:49 AM.