Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Someone please help!

• Please log in to reply

completely_lost

completely_lost

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
HI everyone I'm new here and have a huge problem. I built my first computer recently. the specs are
intel celeron D 3.06ghz 478
biostar P4 M800 mainboard
GeForce MX4000 8x agp vid card
160 gb western digital hard drive
dual layer dvd burner

Ok my problem is after I put everything together and power on the hard drive spins, the dvd burner comes alive, but absolutely no beeps, no video on the monitor (stays in standby) but the cpu fan spins. I've tried reseating everything to no avail. I replaced the mobo 3 times, replaced the video card once, replaced my original 2.6ghz celeron with the new 3.06ghz and still the same EXACT problem. I've cleared cmos too many times to count and made sure that all the power cables are connected, even used 2 psu's. and i've built it out of the case to the same result. I can't for the life of me figure out what i'm doing wrong and i don't want to put anymore money into it. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Oh yea and i also took it to the geeksquad and they couldn't pinpoint the problem, they just said it's either a bad mobo or processor and that's what led me to my 3rd mobo and 2nd processor. I'm completely drained at this point if no one can give me suggestions.

ANYTHING would be appreciated

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, do you have a speaker attached to the system so you can hear beep codes and does it work. Also have you tried using a different monitor.

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The monitor does work because I use on my computer that works. The speaker i use came with the mobo, so i assume it works but the other issue is that the floppy drive doesn't respond like it should, it doesn't come on and look for a boot up disk.

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
could it be a dead cmos battery?????

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Replace it and find out, its only a 30p watch battery. Are you following the maual exactly when building the system, some systems differ so building it may be different from another build.

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
its been 3 batteries....they each came with their mobo but who knows...i'm gonna go out right now and buy a new battery and see, because i noticed after i took the battery out and powered on, it was the exact same response as if the battery were in there....so may they were all dead

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Maybe seems unlikely but it is worth a go especially for the cost of a battery, its always good to have a spare anyway.

Could you give me the exact make and model of that motherboard, a link if you have one to where i can find it on the net. The only reference to them i can find is for a socket 775 motherboard, which if yours is would be the problem but i doubt a geeks squad would miss that fact as well as you.

Think i might have found on that fits the M80 motherboard is 478 not the m800.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 December 2005 - 11:18 AM.

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i switched back to my original motherboard now and the specs are:
matsonic ms9377c+

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right, so its not the motherboard. Do you have integrated gfx if you do try that and see if it will go without the gfx card. Maybe try another gfx card in it if you have one.

I would make a complaint against the geeksquad you took the PC by the sounds of it they did no work inside the PC or tested any parts properly otherwise they would have been able to tell you exactly what was wrong with the system.

Are you remembering to use proper anti static precautions inside the PC, the only thing i can think of at the moment is that you are frying something everytime you work in the PC and that doesnt sound right at all.

You might try making it encounter a situation that will trgger a beep code, try booting with no ram in the system and see if it beeps, double check the speaker is connected first as well.

What core of celeron are you using check if it is compatible with the motherboard.

Maybe try a different hard drive but that shouldnt be the problem, take out all the drives and give it a go, see what happens if it boots add them back in one by one, dont think it is that though.

And you have tried two PSUs as well, quite a puzzler. I might ask for another set of eyes i think, try what i suggest then come back .

And just to double check the situation it will not boot at all. Or at least if it does you cant see anything.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 December 2005 - 01:33 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd like to hear what h appens with the no ram boot...but...could you post the rating on your power supply? also the make model and form factor of your ram..any info y ou have about it. (heck...if you have the name of the guy who soldered it we could give him a call)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol yeah, i would check the ram for A compatibility and B any obvious damage. Have you tried it with a single stick one at a time or some different ram, also do you have any add on cards and if you do have you removed them and tried it without them.

We need any info you can give us.

clive6

clive6

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Disconnect everything except memory, processor, psu, psu on' switch cpufan(heatsink) and speaker take all expansion cards off also all drive cables and any wiring that is not needed. if it flies start putting stuff back bit at a time starting with keyboard, mouse and video system checking each time that it still starts

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've tried it with no ram and still no beeb codes...the ram is 2 sticks of PC2100 512mb....I've tried second mobo with integrated video and still nothing at all....again what it does is i power on, the cpu fan starts, the hard drive spins on and the dvd burner comes on but no post beep, no video, and no floppy indicator....at first i though maybe i have a bad speaker but that wouldn't stop the monitor from responding or floppy...My biggest fear is that somehow I've fried both cpu's i've used but i doubt it, i used anti static wrist strap (cpu is a 3.06ghz celeron D 533 fsb) I would think its compatible because i bought it in a bundle with the mobo

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
my psu is a model: win-400ps

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm thinking of taking it to another geeksquad location but i don't want to pay another $60 if they can't tell me what's wrong