Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Someone please help!

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.wintech-c...w/win400PS2.asp <--is that your psu?

http://www.geeks.com...id=MS9377C-PLUS <---is that your mobo?

Advertisements

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yep...thats them

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...just a thought...the psu is atx 12v and the board is atx....may be an issue (though i don't recall going from a 12v psu to a non 12v board being an issue)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would make sure the speaker is connected properly, and if it is i would try a different speaker for the motherboard.

I would try one stick of ram at a time in the machine, and if you can stick it in another machine and run memtest on it. (just google memtest if you need it).

What was the other PSU you tried, everything does scream CPU or the mobo maybe even both, (the geeksquad you took it to should have swapped out and tested the CPU and motherboard indvidually and should have been able to tell you which it was.

Mind you the fact that you have replaced the mobo more than once points more towards CPU as the chances of three duffboards in a row is pretty unlikely.

I would check out the memory if you can, could you try it with a different monitor as well, you arent trying to use a monitor with the wrong kind of connection are you, and you are actually plugging it into the graphics card(sounds stupid but you would be surprised where people try to plug monitors into).

I would ask for your money back from the first geek squad would seem to me not very good service for $60.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just curious, but what is the jumper setting on the back of the power supply? it should be 115v, and NOT 230v. I've gotten some power supplies ordered to us from work and they were set at 230v. Of course if you live in a european country then you will want it set as 230v and not 115v.

Also, have you tried RAM from a working computer which uses the same type of RAM as your current motherboard?

Everything else has been suggested, so I thought I would just throw this out and see.

Fenor

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
First thing i checked when i powered on....yes it's set to 115...I'm just gonna have to go to different geek squad tomorrow and let them take a look

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
First thing i checked when i powered on....yes it's set to 115...I'm just gonna have to go to different geek squad tomorrow and let them take a look

completely_lost

completely_lost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have 2 sticks of memory and tried them each separately....I would assume if i had the wrong memory it would at least beep...unless the speaker doesn't work but then again the 1st geek squad never said anything about bad or wrong memory.

I thought they would swap out cpu's or the mobo but i guess they didn't...I will never go to that particular one again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I really wouldnt take it to anothr geekspquad the local computer shop would be a safer bet the average price fro checking a PC here is like 20 to 30 pounds and for that they will fix any minor faults that can be done by them, nowhere near 60for a pathetic response and no attempt at fixing it, even with the exchange rate it isnt that expensive.

I really dont think the first geeksquad actually looked at the computer for more than 5 minutes if at all, either that or they are just completely incompetant.

So you have no different RAM to try or a different computer to try the RAM in and run memtest. And both the cpus you put in didnt work. The fact that it doesnt beep would say broken motherboard or broken case speaker, we would say this to be broken motherboard normally because a speaker is hard thing to break and a motherboard is easy to break especially the cheap ones. But i would double check the speaker since you have actually replaced the motherboard so many times.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Forget the geeksquad your wasting your money

I suggest first to try another psu its the only common component that has not been swaped yet.

We could test the psu if you have a digital volt meter.

If nogo after trying a known working psu then remove everthing from the case, lay it on a piece of card board and install only the cpu with fan&heatsink,1 stick ram,video card,psu,monitor keyboard&mouse.

Touch the 2 pins that the power switch connects to with a screw driver to turn on.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

Advertisements