Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help, my OS corrupted

• Please log in to reply

zeotrex

zeotrex

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I wonder anybody can help me. I think Trend Micro cuz my hd corrupted!! The last thing i do was scanning my local drives with Trend Micro online!! Then the computer hang half way. I restarted and failed, saying the ntoskrnl.exe file missing. After checking the system, I found that my OS partition is totally corrupted!!!! I can't even read that partition now even i try to read my harddisk in other computer. SHARK!!! Give me back my data!!!! I m very disappointed with Trend Micro.
By the way i m using win2k(fat32). my h/d has 4 partitions. the main OS is win2k pro at drive D:, Trend micro hang while scanning my F: drive.
What i have tried: 1. in DOS, my D: drive not accessible.
2. i load my harddisk in win98, D: not accessible too.
3. i loaded my harddisk in other pc, with win 2k, D: still not
accessible, while boot-up scanned the F: and fixed some
errors, deleted lots of my files(can i get the deleted files
back)?
4. I loaded my hardDisk in other pc, with win xp, D: still not
accessible
5. I tried using some data recovery software, all failed reading
my D: partition.

6.What else can i do? will Nortan Ghost help if i clone my current h/d, if it works, i will go buy a new harddisk to clone. My current h/d is IDE, if i buy a SATA h/d, will there be any conflict?

Please help me, i need to get my data back?

Thanks a lots in advance

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hello zeotrex, and welcome to GeeksToGo!

( yay first time i say that formally :tazz: )

Ok, while i may not be an expert, i can say this.
Those files lost on F: drive, i wouldnt count on getting them back. Sorry. You can try to restore some of the data, with partition magic, using the "undelete" option, but every time i tried recovering lost data, came up with bad results. ( other programs can do that too, not just partition magic... tell me if you need to know of another program, i have a few others, i think )

Sounds like you'll have to reformat and reinstall the OS drive, cause if even on another computer you can't access it, that means something important was screwed up, like the pagefile, where the drive knows where all the data is kept on the harddrive..

As for ghost, well, yes, it will make you a clone, but it wont fix the problem, it'll just clone whats there, a corrupted partition... if it even CAN clone a corrupted partition.

As for IDE/SATA compatibility, i cant see why there would be a problem, and there's nothing about it in their help topics.

Good luck.

zeotrex

zeotrex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Haha, thanks for the replay.

First, yes, can u let me know any other softwares that can do the recovery job well? i tried scavenger and autorecovery, but not helpful. So, those files on F: deleted by win2k boot-up scan wont be able to get back any more?

2. ya, i doubt D: wont be able to recover. cuz i tried, none of the recovery software or OS can access and read D:

3. for Nortan Ghost, so meaning if i clone the partition D: to a new harddisk, i still can the content on the new hard disk? not even reading and copying some data out?

4. Well, for the SATA harddisk, cause i never try out SATA harddisk. So just wondering if there is anything i should pay more attention while setting up SATA/IDE harddisk. This is because i heard setting up SATA will have some problems like in Win98 fat32 and so.... .FYI my motherboard come with SATA.

THank you very for ur advices again, your post has been very helpful. ^_^"

zeotrex

zeotrex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ding dong... anyone else have good advice? cheers

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yeah I've got 2 SATA's on my motherboard too, not using them. Someone with some experience with SATA should answer that particular question, seeing how I dont know anything about it yet.

As for the D: drive, as I said, even IF you can manage to create a ghost image of it, the image will be EXACTLY as the real partition, and that means that if the real D: cant be accessed, the image will be useless too. Ghost's been rumoured to even copy bad sectors... Although I dont put too much credit into it.

For recovery software, lucky for me I've never truly needed any, but I've used Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro, for HardDrive diagnostics... It also has a built in file recovery system, tried it once for fun, came up with a few usable files... You might want to give it a shot.

They have the Trial up on their site
http://www.ontrack.c...rydatarecovery/

It's worth a shot. Don't remember if the trial gives you a chance to actually save the recovered files, but says it should at least let you see what is salvagable.

Anyone else know of good programs? This's it for me :tazz:

zeotrex

zeotrex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Haha, got it. Thanks a lot man. I have tried 3 recover software already, but none of them give useful data. I will try this out.

Cheers.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Alright well dont give up buddy

zeotrex

zeotrex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's fast, we are buddy now :tazz: