Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP starting up...than computer restarts!

• Please log in to reply

Fecal Scientist

Fecal Scientist

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there!

About a week ago I had alot of malware, spyware, yada yada yada. Took all the corrective actions given to me on here and everything was running GREAT! I haven't downloaded any new software and was using Windows Media Player when all of a sudden my computer just restarted and kept restarting. I tried to use the Last known configuration method in Safe Mode but nothing happened. I also can only use my computer in Safe Mode. I tried to find solutions posted on here but was unable to fix my problem. I did manage to download the Windows XP Setup on to 6 floppy disks. I tried to repair the problem with the disks but it isnt working or I am probably doing something wrong. I wrote down what it said on the blue error screen that flashes when my computer restarts it says: Multiple_Irp_Complete_Requests. Try disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. ***STOP: 0X00000044 (0X8287F1F8, 0X00000D62, 0X000000000, 0X00000000) Also my Windows XP was already installed on the computer when I got it and therefore I do not have a Windows XP I am also missing one of my Recovery CDs that came with my computer. I do however have my Windows XP software key. Hope you can help me before my grad school project is due since everything is on my computer for it!!!! THANKS!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I did manage to download the Windows XP Setup on to 6 floppy disks. I tried to repair the problem with the disks but it isnt working or I am probably doing something wrong

What exactly did you do when you booted your computer using these disks. Did you go into the Recovery Console? If so, what did you do/type while in there?

Fenor

Fecal Scientist

Fecal Scientist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I read on the Windows XP page that I may be need to repair kernel32.dll so I attempted to follow the steps that were posted there but I was a bit confused as how to go about doing it, therefore I just exited the program and decided to post this on here. First it asked me for my administrator password which I know I do not have one on here cause I never set one up. According to their instructions I needed to just hit Enter after that it asked me to enter a number for something which I can't recall right now. I entered "1". After all of this the screen has C:WINDOWS\ this is where I am not sure what to type in since I am using my floppy drive I thought I would have to type in A: to get that prompt and than continue with the whole ren kernel32.dll kernel 32.old but it says bad command or not found something to that extent.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you please post the link to the page which shows what you are attempting to do.

Fenor

Fecal Scientist

Fecal Scientist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok I just reread what was on the Microsoft page and it says that I must be missing the Kernel32.dll which I looked and its on my computer. So I am still stumped as to what I am to do.

Fecal Scientist

Fecal Scientist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well I ended up doing a System Recovery and now everything works perfectly so far. Thanks for taking the time anyways.