Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is My CD-R Dying?

• Please log in to reply

WhoDoYouThink

WhoDoYouThink

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay...

Dell Desktop...Windows XP...Roxio CD Software.

I have tried several brands of blank media. I burn music CD's and the audio comes out all static-y and sometimes audio drops-out. I have tried the disc on several different players and DVD drives etc...Some players play discs better than others. I have tried rebooting and restarting. I have used a CD-ROM drive CD cleaner disc. Nothing helps. I am NOT technically savvy but if I have to install another "burner", I will. I use my burner quite a lot.
HELP!!

Is my CD-ROM/CD-R drive finally going south? It's been 3 years. If I have to buy a new drive (internal). How much do I have to spend?? Do all CD-ROM/CD-R's fit in all Dells?? The one I have now is GCE-8481B.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should look at a DVDRW Drive which will burn to CDR / RW as well

Look for the option to burn to the hard drive, then burn from there to the CDR Disc

Try to lower the burn speed

Look for firmware and software updates for the CD ROM Drive

WhoDoYouThink

WhoDoYouThink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Do all DVD-R and CD-R fit in all Dell Desktops? What is involved with installation?
I will want to do it myself to save money. What is a good resource/store to find good quality (but cheap!)
DVD-R drive??

Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which model Dell have you got

WhoDoYouThink

WhoDoYouThink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Dell Dimension 8200

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
http://support.dell....ace.htm#1102239

http://support.dell....ace.htm#1101572

http://forums.us.del...&l=en&cs=&s=gen

The links are for a number of options, it links to e-bay for the recommended drives, you may also want to check other sources to purchase from

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Most desktop style computers will accept most of the DVD/CD drives. Typically the limiting factor is length and outside "style" cases. Some computers do not have the room for drives which happen to be longer, but this is not typically an issue and is often not all of the spots.

Some cases need special rails to mount the devices. Dell seems to be good about including addtional rails in the machine, at least from what I have seen.

For new drives, I tend to like www.newegg.com, but sometimes other places have better deals, so it is good to check around.

Also, make sure that you are not recording the discs at a speed that is higher than they are rated at (disc, not the drive).