Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change Display Settings using Win 98 SE

• Please log in to reply

speedshop

speedshop

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I removed a game today and then tried to change screen resolution setting. Using Windows 98 SE, when I go to Control Panel, Display, Display Propeties, and click on settings, I get a black screen with a flashing dos prompt and I can't type on the screen. I have to restart the computer, and it is currently stuck on the lowest resolution and 16 colors. When I did a step by step loading, I saw "Unable to control A20 line! XMS Driver not installed." My DVD player played fine after it told me the resolution was too low and testing of video shows all is fine.
Can I fix it?
Do I reinstall the video adapter drivers for my video card or my monitor? I tried to update the monitor display driver and was told I already have the latest available. I just downloaded the latest drivers for my NVIDEA GeForce2 MX 200/400 card, so should I try to remove the old drivers and install the updates?
I used Windows Add/Remove Programs to remove the NVIDEA software and drivers. Then, restarted and turned off virus scanner and Spybot Resident, double-clicked on NVIDEA drivers file on the desktop and followed through installation wizard. It worked!! Thanks, Keith.

Edited by speedshop, 10 December 2005 - 10:47 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the video adapter drivers or look for more recent drivers from the manufacturer's site