Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot device

• Please log in to reply

kaimuki

kaimuki

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm not sure if this problem is hardware or software. Am using XP2.

On startup and reboot I get this message: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". I can't get out of this message unless I reset and hit F8 then select start normally.
Doesn't seem to have any other problems. Tried checking for errors, but everything if OK.

My son said he was burning a cd and bumped the pc and later the screen went dark with the boot device message. (Don't know if this is related)

Any ideas and a solution to this weird stuff.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kaimuki

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check there are no discs or floppies in any drive

Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key (can also be F2) until it enters set up

Look for and set to BIOS fail safe defaults, press F10 to save and exit, type Y to confirm, ress enter then it should reboot

While in set up, check also for enhanced defaults as some onboard devices will only function with this enabled

Try fail safe first to check it loads

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Howzit kaimuki!

You might also open up the computer case and check to make sure all the IDE cables are seated securely on both the motherboard and the devices. Make sure the computer is off and the AC plug is disconnected before you do this. Your son "bumping" the computer may indicate the Hard drive IDE cable might be a little loose.

edited... well I guess I should add that while you're in there, you may as well make sure your agp/pci cards are seated well in the motherboard too!

Edited by makai, 09 December 2005 - 10:01 AM.

kaimuki

kaimuki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
To Keith and Makai,

Shaka Brah!

Thanks for the help. Tried the BIOS procedure first. My pc now boots and reboots w/out the message. Some differences: couldn't find BIOS fail safe, but "setup defaults" (F9)--"load optimal defaults"; no y confirmation after selecting F10, but windows began loading immediately. Please tell me I didn't screw up and that these differences are minor or no problem at all.

Thank you, again.

Kaimuki

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Likely explanations are:

Set up defaults = Fail safe defaults

Optimal defaults = Enhanced defaults

No Y after F10 = That is the way your system does this and no problem

Is the PC start up running better now

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Howzit kaimuki!

Kinda thought you were from Hawaii, but didn't want to jump to conclusions! When I saw "kaimuki", I almost asked you... eh, what year you wen grad?!!! LOL!!!

It's strange that resetting the bios would be related to the video blacking out from a bump. I think there are two problems here. If your pc is running fine now, that's good. But keep an eye out and let us know how it goes.

Aloha Brah!!!