Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got your PC all tweaked how....

• Please log in to reply

Koretek

Koretek

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
The worst thing in the world is getting your PC all setup to your liking and having didaster strike. Then you lose all your programs that you added and all the work you had stored in your "My Documents" and a host of other "junk" you would hate to lose like the Chess program I own and love but almost never get to play, and has anyone noticed that we used to get free chess games with Microsoft Discs but not anymore, well it was included in the game section of the PC but not anymore sadly. I loved that game, when my kid had his first PC he used to hide it from the menu so I couldnt find it and play....... lol. So this is what I do anyway to keep up to date and not lose my work and fav programs and I advise almost every PC user to at least schedule a backup to be made at least once and save it to disc but you will have to have a copy of the OS (the real disc) to make full use of this altho it can be used to save you work in My Docs on any given day and you can save that or basically anything Text based and keep that to disc or a floppy so you can restore it at a later date. It can be a life saver if U have ever changing work that gets updated on a regular basis.

the WinXP Backup Utility

I protect important documents and settings using the Backup Utility found in WinXp, all versions. Its perfect for backing up Documents and images because they can change so much while your working and computing that using a program like Norton Ghost (which otherwise is a great tool to make a backup) becomes impractical. You must own and have the original WinXP disc in your posession to make use this method. I dont know about if you have WinXP on a disc like manufacturers provide sometime but in my opinion I believe if you didnt get a copy of wondows when you bought your OC then NOW is the time to call support and tell them that you paid for a copy of the WinXP disc, you own a serial# and now you need to make a backup of the registry and have computer problems and you want them to send you one.
You paid for that when you bought the PC if you have a serial# then you should have the orignal disc too!
This is how I use mine.

I schedule Backup Utility to run EVERYDAY at a certain time just like my System Restore so I know I am fully protected and up to date with the constant changes in my folders and images.

"Start"--"All Programs"--"Accessories"--"System Tools" and finally "Backup Utility" then select your type of a backup.
If you have a PC like most people at this time you can use the wizard in the Backup Utility to make a floppy as well as a copy in your "MyDocs" folder, otherwise if you have a really new PC without the floppy disc (like I have but DONT APPRECIATE you can make the copy and place it in "MyDocs" or make a copy with a CD Disc or I havent done it but I imagine a DVD also.

Who needs one of these copies? Well that depends upon you, if you dont mind starting over if you have a big computer error or a crash or if your PC's hardware like a Motherboard or something disastrous like that happens to fail then you can have your PCback up and running almsot as soon as its repaired without having to make all the dreaded changes like we all do with a new PC, or a repaired PC. Anyone that is in danger of Viruses or enjoys hazardous to our health activities such as File Sharing should definately want a backup also.

YEAH, yeah! I know its long winded but it was a work in progress and its my first draft Ok? :tazz:

Edited by Koretek, 01 February 2005 - 09:44 PM.

Advertisements