Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP format and reinstall problems

• Please log in to reply

gordobw

gordobw

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
What a frustrating problem.

I have been having some major trouble, my computer would continually restart and reboot without any reason, I would receive a variety of errors.

Stop: 0xc0000008e (0XC0000005, 0X804EDCO, 0XEB67B8CC, OX0000000)
ERROR CODE=0X8007007F
INVALID_KERNAL_HANDLE
PLUS OTHERS i DO NOT HAVE I FRONT OF ME.

THE ERRORS WOULD ALSO MENTION DIFFERENT SYSTEM PARTS:
MOUHID.SYS
TCPIP.SYS
WIN32K.SYS
USERINT.EXE
NV4_DISP.DLL

I Followeed the instructions in the malware star here forum, but I could never complete a scan before I was rebooted (it would happen in safe mode also)

So I finally tried to repair the installation, but during the installation it would freeze up, and/or I would receive some error that would say

FAILED TO LOAD LIBRARY WINDOW/SYSTEM32/CATSRV.DLL

At this point I had read a member of this forum who had been having som similiar problems, so I deceided to format and reinstall.
I disconnected everything except the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Including my extra Hard drive.
I then formatted and reinstalled. During the reinstallation I was required to restart many times because it would freeze. I would also get errors that some file could not be found retry or skip, (for example shell32.dll) I never skipped always retried. Eventualy XP was fianlly reinstalled.

But now during the reboot I receive an error invalid boot ini file boot from c;\ windows, I do not have a C drive.

I reinstalled the drivers, I do not have any ! or ? in the device manager. I also reinstalled SP2. The computer still reboots and it seems like the error always has to do with Win32k.sys.

Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area
Most of the time it was just a Stop error.

Sorry I am so vague on the errors I left my list at home (I ahve to use a computer at the library). By the way if you have not noticed am not vary computer savy.

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. If I could get a list of things to try so I do not have to keep running back to the computer at the library, if something works or does not work.

Once again thanks ahead of time.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is beginning to sound more like a hardware problem than software.

How much ram is in the machine. Whatever the amount, if you have more than one stick, you might try pulling out one of them at a time and seeing if that helps.

You might also try to reseat all the cards in their slots and also check for any loose cables. Basically, make sure everything is seated well. Also, since you never mentioned if you opened up your computer case, you may as well check to see that all your fans are spinning and not clogged with dust. If they are, clean them out with compressed air. You can buy compressed air at most computer stores... ie, bestbuy, compusa, frys, etc.

But now during the reboot I receive an error invalid boot ini file boot from c;\ windows, I do not have a C drive

Where exactly did you install the OS if not on C: drive? Did you install to a different partition? If you did, then it's quite strange that the boot.ini file would reference C:.

My opinion is that you should never try to fix a bad install. Instead, you should reformat, and reinstall from scratch again. But before you do, try messing around with your ram sticks and see how the computer reacts.

Edited by makai, 09 December 2005 - 11:35 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
But now during the reboot I receive an error invalid boot ini file boot from c;\ windows, I do not have a C drive.

C is usually the default drive

Do you have data you need to save

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I have a gig of RAM.

My OS is loaded on E: The only time there is a C: is when there is a jump drive in the USB. Both fans are working. Everything seemed to be seated well. I will try pulling out a stick of RAM at at time. ANything else I could try while I am at it.

I do not have any data that need to be saved. I already lost everything when I formated and reinstalled

Edited by gordobw, 09 December 2005 - 11:45 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

My OS is loaded on E: The only time there is a C: is when there is a jump drive in the USB

Just out of curiosity, did you purposely install the OS into partition E?

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Yes, that was what was available after I formatted...do you think I should reformat and reinstall again..maybe use the floppies instead of the CD (upgrade)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Yes, that was what was available after I formatted...do you think I should reformat and reinstall again..maybe use the floppies instead of the CD (upgrade)

Ok, that little underlined word up there in red is quite important information. It really puts a spin on the installation.

Is the Winxp disc you have an upgrade disc? What OS did you upgrade from and how did you reinstall?

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro. After I formated I inserted the XP upgrade, it said it could not see a older version so put in the disk from either 98...2000, (something like that) which I did then it continued the install.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, that's fine... I just wanted to verify you had an upgradable OS disc. If you didn't, and I advised you to format and install again... you would be in a world of hurt... and it would partially be my fault for not asking!

Ok, there seems to be more going on here than just your problems with your WinXP installation. The fact that you "upgraded" also partially explains why your boot.ini references C:... which was probably the default for the upgraded OS.

When you upgraded, and you put the XP OS on a different partition, you basically made a dual boot machine. There is now an OS on C: (which may or may not work), and the XP OS on E:.

How much do you know about using fdisk, partitioning, and formatting a hard drive?
There are options you have to decide on to actually clean this up. But I need to know if you know how to use fdisk.

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I have not used that before, but I can follow examples very well.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
fdisk is a utility used to set up a hard drive to get it ready for installation of an OS. What it's capable of doing is allowing the user to create separate partitions on the hard drive. It will also format the hard drive so the OS can install.

Your machine must have had it's hard drive partitioned into at least 3 partitions... C, D, E. How many partitions were on there before you started having trouble?

Do you care to have partitions on your hard drive or do you just want one partition where the OS is installed? If you just want one partition, then it's makes it easy, because all you have to do is create one partition using fdisk, and then formatting that partition, installing the upgradable OS, then installing XP.

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I think I just need one partition, for my OS system.

After everything is working correctly I want to hook up my additional hard drive, this hard drive is only for storage, for pictures, updates and things of that nature, nothing installed.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, now that we know that we can move on.

You have two options. Use fdisk, or use the manufactures hard disk utility to partition/format your hard drive.

Do you happen to know the manufacture of your hard drive and the size? Also, do you happen to know if you have the hard disk utility for that drive?

Do you happen to have a Win98 start disk? If not, you can get one HERE
Go to the site, look down the list and download Windows 98 SE OEM and save it to your desktop. After you get the download, lauch the application, put a new/blank floppy into the floppy drive, and follow the directions. The app will create a bootable Win98 start disk.

Geesh... do you have access to another computer other than the one at the library you can do this on? :tazz:

gordobw

gordobw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
This is what computer consists of

Track 1 MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard -
Item #: N82E16813130475
(Serial #: K0409102221)
MSI 626 913 0828
Track 1 Rosewill RW4000-128D Geforce MX4000 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814164030
(Serial #: 898745001150)
Track 1 AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXDA2800BOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103377
(Serial #: 500107428082S)
Track 1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3120827AS 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148039
(Serial #: 3MT0CY1S)
Rosewill 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model RW400/512 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820223009
(Serial #: 0C1G6907000088P, 0C1G690700008BD)

I do not remember seeing a utility disk for the hard drive

I will download a 98 disk

I will be able to get a laptop later today

Edited by gordobw, 09 December 2005 - 03:00 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You might want to follow this Segate Website to set up your drive. It also has the Seagate Discwizard that may be better at setting up your Sata drive. I personally use only manufacture's utilities to set up my hard drives. I rarely use fdisk anymore since XP.

If you can download and run the Seagate software, and follow the prompts to set up your drive, then you're halfway there. We hope!!! :tazz:

Also, I am unsure if the Windows 98 SE OEM app at bootdisk.com includes the fdisk that will format your size drive. I believe it does, but I haven't used it for a loooonnnnggg time! Try it, if the Seagate software doesn't work, and if it doesn't report the full size of your drive, then go HERE and download the fdisk that will. Just scroll down the page and look for the "english version". Would help to read the page also just FYI.