Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Corrupt Hive Blue Screen Massacre

• Please log in to reply

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have tried this repair thing before but when I try to copy the config/software file it isnt able to find it so I am unable to cary this out. I have also tried the %systemroot% restore command thing but it said it didnt understand the command - what word do I need to put before it as a command?

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was afraid the system restore command wouldn't work because of the corrupt or missing system32 file. Your best bet at this point is to replace the hive...if you can do a system restore after that, all will be well with the world again. If not, your data will still be there and will be recoverable one way or another. The important thing is to get the machine running without compromising the data.

Read This so you know what to expect...this was the last time I had a user replace the hive. It's not something I do very often, but it does work in most cases.

Give it a shot. If you have any questions, now is the time to ask them... :tazz:

wannabe1

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay I had a look at that post but the commands in the repairing bit are still the ones that wont work on my comp as the config/software line claims not to find it.

So how can I repair the hive thing then?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm...curious....

Let's try some other repair options.

Enter Recovery Console and at the command prompt, type chkdsk /p /r (Note the spaces). This will take a while, be patient.

Let me know if this changes anything.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Take a look at this Procedure, too.

wannabe1

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have run the chkdsk / p/r thing and then gone to last good configuration and miraculously my computer has sprang back to life. I am worried though that is only temporary - what should I do while I still have it on? Thank you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
strode84...

Great...I like progress... :tazz:

Go to System Restore (in System Tools), Click on the System Restore Settings link in the left pane, and select the "Turn off system restore on all drives" check box...exit System Retore. This will get rid of all the old and possibly corrupt restore points.

Now go back into System Restore and set a restore point as the machine is now...at least we know it runs in it's current configuration.

Reboot your machine and let me know how it's running.

wannabe1

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay I turned off the system restore thing but then it wont let me back in to make a restore point without turning it back on so Im confused

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have turned it off and exited System Restore, go back in and turn it back on (the step I forgot in my last post.. :tazz: )...then set a restore point and reboot.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 December 2005 - 07:12 PM.

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay but do I want to turn it back off before I reboot or do I do that after?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Once you've turned it off to clear the restore points, then have turned it back on and set a new restore point...leave it on. Then reboot and let me know how the machine is running.

wannabe1

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have done the steps and my computer is rebooted and running fine - anything else you now suggest that I should do or check?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
strode84...

You should be good to go... :tazz:

Keep your eye on it and if you run into any problems on down the road, post back to this thread.

Good Job!

wannabe1

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you ever so much for your help. Im a screenwriter so I rely heavily on the use of my computer and the files that are on it. From now on I am going to get some decent antivirus software and make sure I back up my files more.

Thank you again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help...

For a good AV application, try the Avast in my signature (at the bottom) or google for AVG Free...they're both good programs and both are free.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

wannabe1