Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

POST (Boot) Problem

• Please log in to reply

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi All

Trying to help a pal whose PC will not boot.

Problem started by sometimes not booting completly past 'Checking NVRAM' Switching off, waiting and trying again sometime worked. When boot was successful and left switched on PC worked OK!

Now it will not boot at all. Monitor will not show any sequence when connected to the PC, but when disconnected from the PC shows 'No Input or Disconnected'

Have tested it on a known good Monitor, same result.

As it has an integrated video chip, unable to eliminate that.

Tested PSU at various points and got 5.12 Volts
Fans are running and Floppy Drive sounds like it is seeking.

Unable, so far, to replace BIOS battery. Is it possible to produce the above problem if below spec?

His PC is a reasonably old Dell Dimension. P3, 1Ghz with 256 RAM. (Have swapped RAM)

Any help would be appreciated

[size=7]

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

'Checking NVRAM'

that's generaly a telltale sign of a bad cmos battery...why haven't you been able to replace it?

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Needed reasonable confirmation that replacing the battery would cure the problem before purchasing a new one

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i cannot promise anything...as i'm not infront of your computer...but that battery should be cheap...like...less than 2 dollars...

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Many thanks for your response.

You were correct about the battery price, about 3.50 dollars equiv. in the UK

Unfortunately it has NOT cured the problem. At least the battery will do my MINIDV Remote.

Back to the drawing board.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you said that you guys have swapped the ram...did you swap the ram before the complete boot failure? or after? are you sure it's compatable ram?
do you have a spare video card that you could test with (i know you said it's got integrated graphics but i'm sure there's a free pci slot...maybe even ap)

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
My goodness that was a quick response!!!

I had proved the RAM previously when the original boot problem happened.

I might be able to get a good Graphics card from another pal.

I don't mind trying to help my pal fix his PC but I draw the line in removing parts from my own modern PC.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
heheh i agree....if at all possible..i never put anything i paid for in someone elses machine...too many possibilities me: "your machine ate my video card...pay for it!" them: " i never asked you to put yours in my machine...blow it out your nose!"