Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mPGA - Can i get a pentium 4

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, im an amd processor user, my mate however has an intel computer, he currently has a 2.8ghz celeron but wants a pentium.
The socket is mPGA 478, does the m stand for mobile? just curious because i know mobile parts arnt as good, thanks:).
Dave

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The m in that doesnt mean mobile.

Its a desktop right?

We will need his motherboard info so I can see how fast of a pentium 4 is supported if any at all.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yup, ok one sec ill get the info from the discontinued everest

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The mPGA is Micro-Pin Grid Array and the PPGA is called Plastic-Pin Grid Array. Sometimes people say PPGA when referring to any socketed processor form factor.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
the motherboard is according to everest Intel Plumb Island D845EPI / Sea Breeze D845GVSR / Villanova D845GLVA

Anyone have any ideas?

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
RESOLVED

found it it has a 533 max FSB, it can support upto 3.0 ghz pentium 4, thanks guys!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
cool make shure you get the right pentium 4 cpu then, has to be a intel pentium 4 with 533 mhz fsb like you said.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
With fsb 533 I wonder if replacing the cpu is worthwhile the expense. You will get a rather limited benefit.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
True, but my friends upgrading from a celeroid, he will feel the difference, although i keep telling him a new gfx card will be better for games but...he wants both.