Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 Crashing

• Please log in to reply

b0bx13

b0bx13

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My friend is having issues with BF2. Everytime a level is loading, whether multiplayer or single, it will crash to the desktop at 62%, when it is loading geometries. The problem shouldn't be power (AMD64 4000+, 7800GTX, 2GB RAM). All drivers are updated. I've tried to set the geometries at different levels, but it still crashes at the same point. So far EA's tech support is stumped (not a surprise). Any ideas?

PS- Ran memtest86, found that one of the RAM modules was giving out errors, but the problem is the same whether or not the problem module is in the system.

Also, for what it's worth, it took several times to get it installed, thanks to MD5 errors.

Advertisements

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I too am having a similar problem!

Exits to Desktop, PLEASE help!

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

Okay, so here's the story.

I was running Battlefield 2 straight from the DVD, it was working fine (apart from a slight bit of lag). I then decided to install the patch, so that I could access the latest games (servers) available.

Now, when I load up the game, choose a server and then get to the loading screen, the game closes as soon as it reaches "Geometries". I tried increasing the Video settings for the "Geometry" setting to no avail (as did I try to uninstall the entire game, reinstall from DVD, redownload the patch and then install the patch).

Obviously I shouldn't really have any problems now, because if I can get the game running without patches, it should run with the patch (1.41).

As many others have tried, I have looked all over the internet and the most promising solutions have not helped at all.

Computer?

OS:Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2).
Hardware: AMD Athlon™ XP 1.25GHZ, 768MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT (256MB).

I have a HDD with 40GB+ capacity left over, so the 3GB quota is fine.

I realise what the recommended hardware states, "1GB RAM" + "1.75GHZ CPU", but there should be no difference between how the game played before (with the same hardware), as to how it now plays (with the patch).

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

I have also tried clearing the Cache in the mods folder, installing the PunkBuster client manually (then updating it to the latest version for the game).

Still going back to desktop at Geometries (51%).

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Repeat post, please delete.

Edited by oimi, 06 January 2007 - 04:33 PM.

Opt

Opt

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Uninstall - Reinstall, might work.
Bobx shouldn't have an issue.
Omni kinda has minimum requirements, in the mem area.
I am no expert but I have played BF2 for about 1 year and a half now. These things your going through are some things that have happened to me as well.

Sound can cause crashes to dt as well. In Controls on main menu of game, make sure all is good. Not set to T1 lan or correct sound is being used. Processes running?

Patches and Drivers+ Clean it out and do fresh installs of everything.

Edited by Opt, 07 January 2007 - 02:03 AM.

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Opt, thank you for your response.

As I already mentioned, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the whole lot (drivers, patches and the game itself0.

Sound can cause crashes? Well that could possibly be an explanation if the cound card was being used at the time when it closed to the desktop, but it was on the loading screen (which should not make it a problem).

All control settings are good, configuration is fine (set to 256KB+) and not T1.

Processes running? None that would conflict with Battlefield 2, I close down MSN Messenger, Windows Media Player and any other unecesarry programs before I start up Battlefield.

Opt

Opt

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
If sound card is used be sure hardware is used. If it is sound is on the mobo and is not set right it will crash.
If your sound comes from the Motherboard, make sure it is on Software and Low or Med. If you have a fancy xfi or audigy, should be ok on hardware med or high. If this setting is wrong it will cause serious problems.

You may want to install drives for video card from a different source. Like I get mine from the manufactor but there have been times I have went somewhere else to get em. The drivers for some reason depending on the card can be faulty. That is something to explore, if it is at 62%- texture and geometry. You have tried various resolutions as well huh? I know I max out at 1600x1200 all high. If I set it any lower it'll go to crap. Your card- prolly 1024x768 at 70 75 or so. Like I said before I am no expert, but your computer is struggling. When BF2 loads a map the most intense and demanding part is right at 62%. Perhaps more memory is an order too. That always helps. I ran BF2 with 1 gig, and it lagged a little then 2 gigs made it all good.

I hope some of this helps and you can further explore the issue. I can't give an exact fix, because of the many reasons for a crash.

**OPTIMUS**

Opt

Opt

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
OIMI WHAT IS THE LATEST?

Also is your copy of BF2 good? Did the game ever play, or has it always had this problem?

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Haven't had chance to play around with the game to give you results yet, but yes, the game ran perfectly without the Patch. I knew I had to update it in order to play on the latest servers though.

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Initially I had installed the Nvidia Driver supplied on a CD, which came with my NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT (256MB) graphics card.

When I installed this game, it installed its own version of the Nvidia drivers.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Make sure you have the latest DirectX 9 stuff: http://www.microsoft...tx/default.mspx

Umm.. Where'd you dl the patch from?

Advertisements

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am using a Creative Soudblaster 5.1 card..

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
The patch came from a link posted on the official site (http://d4.strategyin..._patch_1.41.exe)

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have installed the latest Direct X update, now testing your theories.

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Audio Settings

Audio Renderer: Hardware
Sound Quality: High (couldn't select Ultra High)
Enable EAX: Checked

Edited by oimi, 07 January 2007 - 04:05 PM.

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Although I have played with resolution etc in the past, I will try it now at the resolution you mentioned, and the refresh rate you mentioned also.

Testing these settings out now..