Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building new pc

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
HELP
Im new to building computers and im a little stumped im not sure what case, psu and motherboard would be the most suitable. This is what i have so far: (PCI-Express base)

Processor= amd 64 3200+
Graphics Card= radeon x800 gto 256 PCI-E
Memory= 1gig 2x512 corsair 512mb pc3200
HDD= ? 80-120 gig maybe

Any help would be much appreciated tks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
looks fine i would go with a 200 gig HD(best value for money at 200gig) and make sure you get a venice core CPU. Motherboard, anything from the Nforce 4 or ATI200 chipset range from MSI,ABIT,ASUS,Gigabyte. Just pick something out and put it in here and we will look and tell you if it is the right thing to buy.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
im from UK so not sure if parts will have any big differences?
aside from the price :tazz:

Found this motherboard.
http://www.dabs.com/...electedId=11143

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well im UK as you can see from the loacation bit below my avatar. Wouldnt go Dabs they can be expensive, try overclockers and ebuyer they are the best ebuyer is cheap and overclockers has the selection and a site that actually works. Alot of things are cheaper here or would be if not for exorbitant VAT and exchange rate.

That mother board has the VIA chipset you dont want that its quite old and not as good as the nforce4.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
CPU
http://www.overclock...t_939_cpus.html
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3200BPBOX) (CP-118-AM)

MOTHERBOARD
http://www.overclock...Socket_939.html
Abit KN8 Ultra nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-087-AB

they any better?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Mch, you might be able to pick them up cheaper from Ebuyer, i usually pick my parts on overclockers then see if i can get them cheaper on ebuyer or a couple of the other sites. Cases and PSUs i would get from overclockers they are one of the few shops with a good selection of the best stuff and PSUs you have to buy the best you cant buy generic ones as they tend to break your computer.

I like the MSI board myself, goes well with the CPU the dynamic overclocking is quite nifty. Read some reviews on them, just google for them you will find plenty, HEXUX.NET is good i think they have a couple of reviews that you would find useful.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
right then, ive been looking through ebuyer and they are pretty [bleep] cheap, tks alot for the help. do you think 450w psu would be good enough im trying to keep my comp to about £400-£450 dont want to be spending too much.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
450W is plenty for that system but just remebrer it cant be generic, it has to be a decent quality, you might be able to get one of the non-modular PSUs from hyper they are nifty and cheap, maybe try scan for that they might have some left, overclockers had them but they sold out and didnt replace them as hyper have moved on to making excellent modular PSUs. The antecs and tagans are good as well but they are expensive. Cheapest way for a kick [bleep] PSU is to get one with an Antec case they are essentially working out free for 100 quid PSUs with 70 pound cases its often a good deal, and antec cases are solid well designed cases.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ive orderd the
MSI K8N Neo4-F nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-053-MS)

from ebuyer. and looked through those cases you suggested i think this one would just about suit my budget. erm that is a pci-express psu isnt it? is there a way to tell, without it actually saying pci-e on? tks

http://www.overclock...ntec_Cases.html
Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU (CA-040-AN)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its fine, thats actually the recently updated version of the sonata and the old one had a compatible PSU it just wasnt quite beefy enough for new systems but they have stuck in one of the newer very excellent 450W smart power PSUs and thats enough for most systems these days and the PSU is a nice quiet one.

You might want to get another 120mm fan to fit in the front of the case its not strictly needed but its nice to have and keeps the system cooler you will be able to run both fans at a slightly lower speed with two making it that bit quieter, one of the akasa or vantec low noise fans would do fine.

Advertisements

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
il get that case ordered then if its psu is compatable with PCI-E.
well that system beats this one ive got now i was in desperate need for a new one.
tks alot mate uve been a real help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nae bother any more hassle just come back, any of the ATX 2 PSUs are compatible its just the older ones have different number of pins for connecting to the mobo, new boards have a 20pin then a serperate 4 pin, old ones have a single 24 pin, but are easily modified to fit.

The one it comes with though is fine its compatible, should be a nice little system. The gfx card should be able to take a bit of an oveclock if you want extra speed and so can the CPU, for the gfx card i use ATI tool to overclock, gfx card overclocking is the simplest form of overclocking and it is the most common. You dont have to though i just thought you might want to i did and the card is supposed to be a good overclocker.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
just got in from work, tks i thought it had to say on it pci-e compatable for it to work so thats why ive had so much trouble finding the right psu. i will have all the parts by 1-2 weeks il check bk if i decide to overclock and need any help doing it but i should be fine now tks alot for ur help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
My pleasure.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
hi warriorscot just thought ud like to know that i got all the parts and built the new comp its wayyyyy!!! better than my old one, just odd little problem with my internet not finding pages but when i restart comp and try again it works. Oh an do u know where i can get XP SP2 from microsoft website doesnt seem to let me get it :S tks oh and could you let me know how to unlock my graphics cards extra pipelines its the conect3d radeon x800gto 256mb tks