Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building new pc

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know getting the gto to open its pipes is so hard to be a myth, its not worth doing even if you had the stuff it would need an illicit bios flash and void warranties etc. . You should be able to get SP2 from MS as long as their site is online, if not there is a few sites that offer either SP2 as a download or a modified version, you can also phone MS and they will send you it on disk.

If you connect wirelessly then there is conflicts between software for the card and the windows wireless utiility you usually need to have one or the other activated.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I know there is ways to unlock the extra pipelines on certain video cards but, you really risk messing up something and you have to boot with a floppy and know the command prompt pretty well. "Not being mean" but I dont think newbies should try it you will mess something up.

You need to be pretty experienced to do it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
And even then an experienced person would be loathe to do something so risky.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
hmmm... never mind its good enough as it is. when i try and get it from ms site it seems to force my comp to crash ive even had to reinstall windows again after using their site for updating!! my windows seems a little unstable too, i get error msgs when im on the net and norton goes mad, then im forced to reset as i lose my start bar. All im left with is my background!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would get rid of norton, what you might try if its that buggy get a another XP disk with all the updates in it, doesnt matter how you get an xp disk if you have a liscence. To get your start bar back in the mean time use ctrl alt delete to get the task manager then go to file > new task (run) and type in explorer in the run box and hit enter, it should restart explorer for you.