Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW DO YOU MAKE HDV FOOTAGE SMALLER

• Please log in to reply

the-spook

the-spook

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
any one know how to reduce the size of the files? they are like 100s of megabites for only seconds of footage, also how do you edit hdv footage if it goes so slow in most editing programs such as the 500 dollar sony vegas program. any one know?

thank you

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
what camera have you got?

the-spook

the-spook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
sony hdr hc1e pal

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Is there an option to capture in SD? check the user manual?

If it's going slow it might be your computer, what RAM, and CPU have you got?

Check out this for some more info - http://www.dvfilm.com/fx1/index.htm

the-spook

the-spook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
224 mb of ram
cpu 2.00 GHz

i want use hdv for the better quality thats why i bought the camera but when i capture it using sony vegas 6 it captures as an m2t. file and is large and ive heard of programs that converts it. its too slow on the time line for editing, it plays normally in widows media player but is distorted, like a bunch of lines going up and down.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
You will need to upgrade your computer if you want it to be faster, 512RAM would be better, 1GB or 2GB are best though for HDV. is the CPU a celeron? You would really want a P4 with hypeerthreading or something, 2GHZ+ maybe 3.2GHZ?

You might want to check out www.dvxuser.com as i dont know anything about vegas and you might be able to find someone there who also has the same camera as you.

Good luck!

the-spook

the-spook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
don't you have an hdv camera? or higher

surely you have an hdv camera to know so much about this stuff. So how do you upload it to your computer and is it as big as

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
I have a higher SD camera, its pointless for me to use HDV because none of my clients have a HD TV.

the-spook

the-spook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
you can still put it on dvd, if dvds from america work on our tvs then why wont the ones you make work

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
yes but it will only show it at standard definition, DVD's are standard definition. When the new DVD's come out Blurray and the other type, they will be able to hold HD footage.

the-spook

the-spook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
this is confusing.
how come a movie file is around 500 mb which use the really good cameras, but on sd or hd a whole movie would be around 40 gb?

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

Sorry im a little confused what you are talking about?
What cameras are you refering to when you say "really good cameras"?

the-spook

the-spook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the cameras they use in movies such as the matrix or whatever, the file size has to be smll cuz they can fit it on a dvd, also i ripped one off a dvd to my computer it was only like 600 mb

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
the-spook,

You seem a little confused so I hope this clears a few things up.

Cameras they use for "The Matrix" and other films as such are actually film cameras, the camera takes shots of 24frames a second to physical piece of plastic (film). This in fact is the highest quality you can get, its even better then HD.

What happens next is the film is converted to a digital signal using a kine/telecine technique.

There are a number of signals this film can be converted to, lets for example convert it to the D5 digital signal, because this is the level where the best colour correction will take place (if they were to instantly convert it to the DVD MPEG2 signal, when they edit/colour correct the footage its quality will be shocking).

The D5 signal is an uncompressed digital signal which stores the video on three separate channels which are known as YUV or RGB, this takes up about 33MB a second so 1.98GB per min. The mini DV signal takes up 3.6MB a second so that's like 9.5 times less quality? Then when you go to DVD MPEG2 quality it’s around 20 times less quality of DV.

After editing and colour correcting the film, they then convert it to DVD which can hold around 9GB using "compression CODECS".

When you talk about all your files being different sizes this is because the video and/or audio is compressed with one of the many CODEC's out there, weather it is a HD, proHD, HDV, DV or DVD file, these is always compression in them.

I'll leave it there, if you’re still unsure about something give me as much detail as possible about your confusion so I can answer it accurately as there are soo many variables.

the-spook

the-spook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
whoa thanks for the information you know your stuff