My 3 coclusions are that :
1. either my processor is spoilt and has to be replaced and that's why is heating up so much
2. i need to switch from thermal paste to a thermal pad (if its possible)
3. the heatsink is not properly installed and is still loose.
Now please advise me on what you think about those conclusions or whether you have any of your own and what i should start with to try and resolve this.
1) If you are able to boot up and your programs are not freezing right after boot up and you are able to function, then your processor is more than likely ok. When mine over heated because of a faulty fan, it would freeze everytthing right after boot up. I'm surprised it survived the troubleshooting, but pc is still working fine after a fan replacement.
2) Thermal paste, if properly applied, will work fine. I've been in electronics all my life and never had a problem. Original areas must be cleaned before reapplying. Too much applied is not a good thing.
3) Don't know whether your hinksink is using clips or screws to hold it in place, but you probably would have noticed if it was loose after reattaching. If it snaps in with clips, I'm sure it's ok.
I hope you changed the overclocking.
The Intel Control Console lets you set all fans on. I would set it so that all of them run continously and see how that works. I think it also sets minimum trip points for when fans cycle on. Let me know how this goes.