Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system overheating

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hi Tazz
Well actually that is the way my fans have been setup to work and also the processor fan sucks in air, doesn't give out. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
maybe your moving the air flow to fast with all these fan have you tried to use less fan and see if that helps your temps like one side and one back ?
:tazz:

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Try to clean out your thermal compound with isopropyl alcohol, apply new thermal compound. Run few thermal cycles, which means run games on it, then turn the computer off to let it cool. This will solidify the thermal compound and optimize its use. If you never applied thermal compound before, then you might want to see how to on the net.

Other than that, try a new Zalman brand heat sink, and see if that helps. Before you do all that, make sure the heat sink fan you have now is working, and all the other fans are blowing the correct way with sufficient amount of air flow (CFM measurements).

Back fans should blow out, as exhausts.
Front fans should draw air in to create a stream line of cool air
Side panel fan should blow right at the CPU
Blow hole fan on top of case should blow out

Additional fans does not mean cooler system, it's all about the aerodynamics of air flow. Too many fans can actually cause turbulance that both increase PC temp and unecessary noises. I'm a big whinner when it comes to loud systems.

Good Luck

Alphaethan

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I cleaned out the thermal compound and reapplied it and i have actually found the cause of the overheating. My CPU Retention Mechanism is broken, i need to replace it and will be doing it soon so until then my comp will be running with quite a high temp i suppose. Anyone know where i can check to see how to replace retention mechanism though i did get a pretty good guide by another person but of course the more the better;)
Thanks

gergedan

gergedan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone! I have the similar problem. I have a Dell Dimension, 3000 with 3ghz Pentium 4 CPU with 1gb RAM, added geforce PCI ATI Radeon 256 mb video card, added sony dvd burner.

1st I bought the pc, it was in little cabinet with door open, I used it for a year, but some gusest isn the house (or my kids, or cleaning lady) left the cabinet door opened probably only once or twice the whole time. Nothing bad happened, but I had to shuit it down(cause both fans were running like crazy).

Months later I started self shut downs. My wife actually wrote down the message "Previously shut down due to thermal event". My video card's fan is maing a lot of noise too. I opened the case, and checked for dust for the first time, It was horribly dusty!!! I vacuumed, cleaned it very well. Even ordered the best thermal paste and reapplied it(don't remember the brand). Both fans seem to be working just fine.

here is the problem. Pc turns on, everything seems great, all applications are working, PC shots down, or screen crashes after 5-20 minutes.

What are the problem possibilities?
1) Did I fry the motherboard? (if I did, wouldn't it start?)
2) Video card fan might be problem?
3) Fans seem to be working, how can I check their speed?
4) Should I clean the heat sink, and reapply the paste? ( i did it 2wice!)
5) Did I overload the regular Dell pc too much with video card and 2 gb ram? (It worked fine for the longest time though)

Please help, I can't afford a new pc yet.... :whistling: