Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

add/remove programs won't "populate"

• Please log in to reply

sheddron

sheddron

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried several times and it refuses to show all the programs like it is supposed to...shows none actually and I have waited for 15 minutes or more.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

sheddron

sheddron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried that...it never asked for the CD...I would assume it just needs to sense what is already in the system...it's not like I am missing programs, it just won't show them. Waited till the blue bar finished checking everything, rebooted, no change. Any other ideas?

sheddron

sheddron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Is this something that could have been affected, either by my Adaware or the fact I just did a "scan disc" check (not called that anymore, can't remember the name. Just trying to figure out why it is doing this. Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download, install then run this, click uninstall software from tools section, you just want to see what is installed, not remove anything. Don't be put off by the name, it has got a few informative options as well

Spyware Remover

You need the centre one in freeware, Advanced Spyware Remover

Can you post back if this does not show the installed software

sheddron

sheddron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran program, saw the software installed, then when I went to the system add/remove screen that wasn't populating, they were there. I don't get it. However, I started to run a scan with the new program you suggested and it found a ridiculous amount of targets almost 400 before I stopped it from running, it did something to the virtual memory...had a warning it was down to 5%. I uninstalled the program and had to reboot to get things working right again. Thanks for your help, although I am not certain what exactly happened.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So do you have add / remove still working after uninstalling the programme

For virtual memory, click start then right click my computer, click properties, advanced, settings for performance, advanced, click change for virtual memory, put the dot in system managed, click set, click OK, click apply, reboot

sheddron

sheddron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope...it wont populate now. I made the changes you suggested though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download CCleaner

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

Look at tools to see if this shows installed programmes

If you use scan for issues, always take the option to make a back up before removing anything

This will spruce up the PC but is optional

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

With system managed for virtual memory, it will monitor and adjust as and when necessary now