Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why is it soooo slow ?!

• Please log in to reply

Zmora

Zmora

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
when i played some games ( for example counter strike source) when i had new computer i had 160 fps , now after 6 months i got about 10 fps :/ i dont know why .. i already formatted my computer, so it could not be malware. what can it be then ?? bad system configuratiion ? i dont think so , cuz it WAS good ... plz help me ... can it be cuz of bad drivers ?? or sth like that ? or may it be "safe uninstallig the hardware" ( im not sure how to wrote it in english , cuz i got it in polish ) in the tray ? and i remember that once nvidia made something with drivers to graphic card, that computer runned slower than normal, and next patch eliminated it, may it be the same thing ?

Edited by Zmora, 10 December 2005 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Could you please list your full system spec for us.

Zmora

Zmora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
procesor : Intel Pentium 4 3,20 ghz ( 2 cpus)
graphic : nVidia Geforce 4 Titanium 4200 with AGP8X
sound : SBlive! audio [900]
motherboard : P4 Titan series, GA-8IPE1000 series, agp 8X/ dual channel ddr , intel 865PE chipset ( thats everything which was writed on the manual ;] )
ram : 1024 ddr
system Win XP professional
and i ve just remembered that i ve never installed drivers to motherboard, is there even thing like drivers to motherboard ?
(sorry for my not very good english )

Edited by Zmora, 11 December 2005 - 11:55 AM.

Zmora

Zmora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i dont want to be rude, but im waitng for an answer for a couple of days... if u dont want do answer, say that , and i wont be waiting for ure help ..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Kinda busy, i do have a life and exams at uni so give me a break.

Make sure you havent had any onboard gfx enabled, you also wont be able to run any kind of effects and it shoulf be in DX7 forced mode for that card, even at that i doubt you got 160fps fastest ive seen CSS go in a system similar but faster than yours with that card was 42fps. Make sure the settings are turned right down. It is a very old gfx card so i wouldnt expect anything above 50 at the lowest settings, the fastest cards you can buy can hardly get 160fps on CSS.

Look on the driver sites for the latest version of the drivers for that card or if you still have them reinstall them, i dont think that card runs off the normal nvidia drivers as far as i know it was before that, i would use whatever drivers work best if the originals worked use them, you should update drivers regualrly but it actually wont affect cards that are very old fixed are generally for the newest generations and for new games etc..

You might want to think about a new gfx card because that one is pulling the system down you could get alot more performance from it with a 6800ultra or a x850xtpe, and the old AGP cards arent to expensive these days since they went obsolete.

Zmora

Zmora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
yeah, xmas are coming . well maybe i did not have 160 fps exatly, but it was above 120 for sure.. and it was on this graphic card ... i havent changed anything on my system ..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you try getting hold of the older drivers, or the ones that were on it originally, nvidia havent released a new driver that affects geforce 4s in years if a new one caused the problem try rolling back to the older ones.

Zmora

Zmora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hmm, i got 78.01 should i look for older ? cuz this didnt change anything
and i also dled driver made by no nvidia just on forceware base but it didnt change anything too
and i got 1more question, what is the difference between normal format and format /q ( i know that q is fast format, but what do i lost using it ? is it worse than normal ? cuz i havent ever than normal format just format q , and maybe that is why my computer is slow ? )
and i got another one game, which was running gr8 in max details, and now in the lowest details, i cant even move .. ( starwars knight of the old republic)
i got one more idea ;] i noticed, that changing graphic options dont affect this problems, i mean that when im playing in the highest details, it is the same as when i m playing in the lowest .. so maybe it isnt about graphic card, but ram , or sth ?

Edited by Zmora, 16 December 2005 - 05:23 AM.