Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start / Programs - icons

• Please log in to reply

harekrishnagate.com

harekrishnagate.com

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I wish I had kept a photo when there was not this problem of the icons that are seen when Start/Programs is done. Because I think there are icons for each of the programs are there not? It is just that I am seeing only icons for a few like the Microsoft Office products but not for the other programs- there is just a generic folder/page icon? Is there a problem?

Coincidentally I was using Firefox 1.5 browser yesterday and the toolbar bookmarks all disappeared and today I noticed the above problem, is there a connection between the two problems?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
harekrishnagate.com...

There may be a connection to the problems, but try this for the icons...

Use This Guide and choose the procedure for your Operating System.

Note that the ShellIconCache file does not pertain only to the control panel icons, but the desktop icons as well.

For the Firefox Favorites (Bookmarks), go to C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomname.default\bookmarks.html

Double click the bookmarks.html icon. Are your bookmarks listed here? If not, open the bookmarkbackups folder in the same window, choose the largest file, copy it, and paste it in the previous folder. Now try your favorites.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 December 2005 - 12:22 AM.