Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't let me install anything...

• Please log in to reply

needsomehelp9

needsomehelp9

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Windows XP won't let me install anything anymore. Every time I try to install a program on my computer now, I get an error message. Usually what happens follows this pattern: open Setup, go through installation wizard choosing options I want and what directory to install into, then when I click to actually run the installation my comp says "Error:1500 another installation already in progress" or something of the sort. However, I am not installing anything else. I have checked the task manager to see what other applications are running, and nothing else is active or trying to install. I tested to make sure it wasn't just one program that was acting funny by attempting several different installs, and found that each one failed giving that similar error message.

A friend said that a previous instalation may have failed in the past and "clogged" the installation process for all installs after that. I then dl'd the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, but the ironic part is that I cannot even run or use that utility since it too requires an installation. I then used WinRAR to extract msicuu.exe and msizap.exe with some prof. help, but I am lost from that point. I opened msicuu.exe myself to try and clean up any dead installations, but I have no idea what to even look for or how to use the program. I am lost as to what to do from here... Any ideas? I appreciate the help. Thanks!

:tazz:

Advertisements