Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard disk problem

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hi,
I ran the Seatools diagnostic software on my hard disk & got the following test as failed :

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (NTFS (80 GB) ) Result: Failed with critical Errors

The following errors were found while scanning the volume:
- One or more errors were found in the index
- One or more errors were found in metadata file records

Can someone tell me how to proceed in order to resolve this?

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can back up your data, use the set up utility from Seagate to write zeros to the drive, the full option will take approximately an hour per 25B of drive size, when you re-install Windows, use the full format, NTFS option, an quirk with Seagate tools is it may cause Windows to create a partition on something other than C. If you notice this when Windows is formatting, reset / reboot the PC and delete the existing partition again and then it should start to create a RAW1 partition on C

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok, well the reason I ran the diagnostic software was because I am unable to install Windows XP onto this hard drive. I managed to now finally copy the system files onto it but now when it goes into the actually installation section, I get a blue screen with an error containing the following technical information :

*** STOP :0X0000008E (0XC000001D, 0XBF812098, 0XF7606C1C, 0X00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Addres BF812098 base at BF800000, DateStamp 3d6de5e5

What is this about, any idea how to resolve it ?