Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't start after computer built

• Please log in to reply

karatenerd

karatenerd

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everybody, I have just put together a new computer with custom ordered parts from newegg.com. The only parts that aren't brand new are his cd rom drives and hard drive. The hard drive came from his previous dell computer. It has windows XP installed, and all of his previous files. The computer boots up, we are able to go into the bios and everything, but when we attempt to start up windows, it will show the XP logo for a split second, then restart. We thought maybe XP is having a hard time coping with the new hardware, so we decided to re-install windows. So we booted from the XP (dell) CD and it went through it's thing, then copied all the XP files to the hard drive, ready to be installed. We go to restart and this time the XP logo stays longer, but then shows a blue screen saying that it has to restart to prevent damage. It suggests disabling memory cache and shadowing, which we did, still with no success. We are dying to see this new computer run some games, so if anybody could help, it we be very appreciated.

-karatenerd

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you do a full reformat and install of windows and XP, you should really fo a full reformat and install whenever you add new hardware, you can repair install but it rarely seems to work.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
1 Delete all partitions
2 Create partitions
3 Format HD and install XP

superjaded

superjaded

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i just took an emachine hard drive and moved it to a new mobo, cpu combo and it booted wonderfully and had me activate winxp again, althought my legit emachine OEM key wouldnt activate so i called microsoft and was issued a new key. (lucky me)

i have had many machines with the blue screen of death after trying to trade components and realize i got lucky this time, its usually best to re-install XP with your new setup

superjaded

superjaded

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
oops i just realized you used your dell cd, that may not work so well. you should use a windows xp disk instead. i activated my existing emachine data luckily, but would never attempt to reinstall the emachine recover disk, (probably wouldnt work), i will install a clean windows OS if i was to do it from scratch