Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Single Outlook Express Address Book for Multiple Identities

• Please log in to reply

tomf

tomf

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Trying to get my brother's brand new PC up and running good. I was trying to help him remotely but to no avail.

Dell Demension 3000
Win XP home w/SP2
512 mb RAM
80 gb HDD
IE & OE
Firefox
Ad-Aware $ Spybot
Trend-Micro AV
Comcast ISP :tazz:

When Comcast did their install for him they set up an initial email account on their site with a password that was anything but secure. So the first thing I did when I got to his place was to signon to Comcast and change that password to something more secure. We then opened OE and its wizard came up to set up the account in OE. When you got to the screen where you enter the user id and password it would not let us enter anything in the password field nor check the box saying remember my password. As a result each time you brought up OE you had to re-enter the password. Checked on Microsoft's site and found they have a problem like this sometimes and the fix is to use regedit. Not knowing XP and definitely not wanting to run regedit I set up a new account on Comcast and a new identity in OE. All worked well including the password field. I set up several other accounts, one for his wife and a junk account all successfully. Here is where the problem comes in. Which ever identity you are in when you look at the address book it lists 2 contact groups. one called "Shared Contacts" and the other is " 'Identity Name" Contacts". When ever you do a reply to an email it adds the email address to the 'Identity Name' Contacts list. No option is provided to let you store it in the 'Shared Contacts' list. So when you switch to a different identity and look at the address book, that email address is not in there. According to MS this can be corrected by selecting Tools -> Options within the address book and set it to the shared option. The problem is within his address book when you click on Tools, there is no entry for "Options" listed. It has all of the other menu picks except the Options function. Anyone have any idea how to correct this so that I can set it up to have a single address book for all of the identities defined?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Tom

Advertisements