Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

couple of problems

• Please log in to reply

af1073

af1073

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone,

I am a new user and I have a couple of things wrong with my computer.

I have an older computer, the C: only has 3 gb. I added more memory, my F: drive has 60 Gb 57 of free psace. The problem that I am having is that my c: drive is real full, I have 319 mb of free space and my other one is real empty and I always get the pop up that says "low on disk space." Can I move my C: drive in my F: drive? or switch my drives so that the F: drive would be my Primary drive?

Another thing that I have wrong is that when I try to click on some links, the links dont open. I have to cut and paste the shortcut into the URl bar. How could I fix that?

THanks for all of the help.

Amy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
af1073...

The best option for the drive situation is to move the files you want to keep from the F drive to the C drive. Then set the F drive as a master and install the operating system on it...it will become (by default) the C drive. Set the small drive (current C) as a slave and install it as such, then transfer the files from that drive to the new C drive. You'll have to install all the programs you had on the old drive onto the new drive.

You can then use the small drive to store backups of your important data.

The links issue should take care of itself when you reinstall Windows on the larger drive.

wannabe1

af1073

af1073

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
there is no way that I can just click it and drag it into the new drive? The disks for the OS are at my parents house. Should I just buy a new computer? Throw it out the window?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Unfortuately, I know of no way to "drag" an operating system onto the new drive...it has to be installed. The alternative would be to do any further installs onto the larger drive and use the small drive for only the operating system. This can be problematic, though, as anything you install must still write to the registry on the C drive and install everything else on the larger drive. Issues and confusion will almost certainly result.

I'd never turn down an opprtunity (or reason) to get a new computer...and if your current machine is old enough to only have a 3 gig HDD, it's pretty old. Might be time for a change... :tazz:

wannabe1

af1073

af1073

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks wannabe1, for all the help. Lets see what happens about getting a new comp

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome, af1073...have fun shopping for a new machine!

Hang on to your new large drive and install it in the new machine when you get it... :tazz:

wannabe1