Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Several problems

• Please log in to reply

Bargod

Bargod

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry that I couldn't be more specific in the title, but after reading this, you will understand that I wasn't really sure about how to classify this one.

After many frustrating attemps to rid my computer of whatever was ailing it, I resorted to a full system restore. Now, I am seeing the same symptoms coming back, so I hope that someone can give me a hand with this.

The first and most noticable problem is my cpu %, as I type this it is at 44%, but is bouncing around from 33% to 60%. As of right now, that is the only problem I have encountered, but it was just the beginning last time. Below is a list of the other problems I encountered as the problems progressed:

1. When I would open IE, I would get a "Server not found" or "Page cannot be displayed" message. I checked my network connections and everything looked okay, so I called my ISP. They pinged my modem and everything seemed to work okay, minus the high cpu usage %. The problem repeated itself the following night, and I was able to get online for few pages by clicking on repair in my network connections. I called my ISP again, and they wanted me to run ipconfig, this led to the next problem.

2. When I clicked on run, the dos window would appear and then vanish. I tried this a couple of times with the same result.

3. I have run McAfee Virus scan and housecall from trendmicro, both finding no issues. I have also run spybot and ad-aware, again finding no results.

4. This problem began about two weeks after I got my computer and is getting very old very quick.

I hope that someone here can help me with these problems, andjust in case you would need to know, I am running Windows XP SP2.

Thank you for your assistance

Tony

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sounds more like Malware to me
To ping an address instead of run use command prompt

Bargod

Bargod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you for the speedy reply. I agree with you that it sounds like malware, but I can't seem to find anything wrong. I posted a thread in the malware forum: http://www.geekstogo...78, but no one responded and I had to go out of town for about a month. Do you have any suggestions?

Edited by Bargod, 11 December 2005 - 10:25 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry you need to go to Malware and there is a topic of what to do if no reply.
TT are not allowed to help with Malware