Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 desktops on 2 monitors

• Please log in to reply

klownk

klownk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I have dual-monitor on ati radeon x850xt with Windows XP...

I would like to have 2 desktops at the same time, 1 on each monitor.

I search a virtual desktop soft but I can't find one with the option to display 2 desktops at the same time...

Someone can hep me ?

Thanks for responding.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The ATI software should work for that, i believe its called hydravision, its a multiple desktop management system.

klownk

klownk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you, but hydravision can't allow to display 2 virtual desktop at the same time...

anything else ??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really it used to, in fact that is what it is designed to do specifically, have you tried the latest version.

"HYDRAVISION Basic Edition will provide users with the essential features required to configure and easily use a multiple display setup."

That is what it is for its the same as the nvidia software its just ATI split it from the catalyst control centre and offer it as a seperate piece of software.

But i do remeber it doing virtual desktops.

Also 5.12 catalyst drivers out make sure you have them.

klownk

klownk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmmm, I tried already Hydravision...

But I didn"t see anywhere an option which can provide to set one virtual desktop on this or this monitor...

If I change the conf of the dual monitoring, it's change on the both virtual desktop...

Or maybe I didn't understand how to made it...

Edited by klownk, 11 December 2005 - 08:59 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i just stuck hydravision back on, i had it off because i reformatted and i dont use two montiors very often but ill take a look to see the settings but i do remember the dual monitor options there is dual monitor options in the control centre as well.

klownk

klownk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry but, I just download 5.12 catalyst with control center and lastest hydravision and I can't see any option which allow me to put 1 desktop on each monitor at the same time...

I can have streched one, split one or clone...

If I made 2 virtual desktops I can switch between them but I can't see them at the same time...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Do you have them set up in control centre you should see one monitor running off of the primary card and then the secondary card, the second monitor should be show as connected to the secondary gfx card.

It seems odd as ive done it and seen it done before, i cant get hydravision to work on my PC i think it might be the latest .net framework, have you tried reading over some of the dual monitor tutorials and articles on the internet there may be one that fits, but it should work fine with hydravision.

Its weird i cant give you any more detailed instructions as ive never had to do it on my ATI card i can do it with the nvidia software, but i have seen hydravision do it. You should also be able to do it in control center and windows.

I got 11000000 hits when i looked up multiple monitor setups on google there probably will be something in there i would look through some of them a it a bit more but i need to study a bit. There should be something in there useful and ill try and look through it a bit later.

klownk

klownk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you,

I search on google since yesterday...

all the weekend...

I didn't find any solution...

As I said, I can have streched, splitted and cloned... (in control center) If I disabled one monitor in desktop, it's automatically disabled in the other desktop...

And for virtual desktop, well, I can add 9 desktops but all in splitted or cloned or streched... pffff...

It's seems incredible that noone doing this in windows xp... apparently for Mac or Linux it's very easy...

PS: I have just one gfx card (x850xt)

Edited by klownk, 11 December 2005 - 11:02 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive seen it done really easily before and ive done it quite easy but that was a while ago on a different card. Ill try to lool through what resurces i find but i dont really have too much time at the moment to spend a couple of hours doing it ive got two hard exams next week at uni i have to study for, hopefully one of the other staff or members will know something to help before then though, the site is acting up today so there isnt as many people around as usual.

If i think of anything quick before then i will post back.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
double

Edited by warriorscot, 11 December 2005 - 11:26 AM.

klownk

klownk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you very much, it's very nice.