Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my computer will only read my cd drive when i plug it into the hard dr

• Please log in to reply

trussler

trussler

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
my computer will only read my cd drive when i plug it into the hard drive slot on my motherboard?

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Make sure you have all the IED ports turned on in your CMOS and do detect. IT should be all there.

trussler

trussler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
how do i this

trussler

trussler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
they are but it still will not detect it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi trussler

If you are trying to use the center connector on the ribbon when the cd-rom is not detected, look on the back of the drive and set the jumper to "Slave"...then plug it into the center connector and try it. OR...you could connect it to the end connector of a separate ribbon and plug it into the secodary IDE slot on the MoBo (making it the Secondary Master). I would recommend the former rather than the latter.

wannabe1

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
-you may need the fine 80 ribbon cable instead of the urgly 40 cable that usually come with all CD drive.
-If you did all that and it still can't detect the CD then the only thing left is the mother board has quitted.

trussler

trussler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your reply but i have tried this and it still does not work

trussler

trussler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i've tried new cables and it detects it but not in the bios and then it says ntldr file missing

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
manually enter it in instead of auto detect.

trussler

trussler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
still can't get it to work :tazz:

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
. This for me is obviously hardware problem. I assum that you have all the Jumper set up Properly.
-Try your HD on the 2nd IDE see if the port is in working order.
-Physically check pins on your CD drive see if any thing diffrent. Happen to me before that one of the pin was pushed in, not making contact.
-Last thing I can thing of is some thing that happened to me once. It was CD drive made by YAMAHA. The stupid thing only except certen configuration and all that was on there web site too!!!???

I will keep come back here to see if any body have any good experience that can help you. Even if you fix it yourself, post it to. I'm so curious now.