Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with modem install

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
The USB ports on the BF6 will not work so I installed a Zoom external. In the interim, the install disk has disappeared. I went to Zoom and they weren't any help, so I went to driverguide. I copied the driver (actually 3 inf"s after extraction) to a floppy and the desktop. The modem just can't see them. Any one know where you can buy a install disk for a 2949 (not 2949L) or suggest ways to make the pc see the modem drivers?

Advertisements

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I finally have a modem BUT it is working as a standard Windows modem, not a ZOOM 2949. Speed is much reduced too. I would still like the system tosee a ZOOM modem and accept the driver.

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Are you using XP? I'll assume XP (I can remember now :-), but the same basic instructions apply.

Click Start/Control Panel... then Phones And Modems icon and click on the Modems tab. Click on properties

on that screen, click the Driver tab, and click update driver, on the next screen, check the 'Install from a list...'. it should be easy from there (you'll see something like 'Have disk'.... make sure you have the inf files you downloaded on a floppy, and make sure it's in the drive

IF you have downloaded the correct driver, it should install from there.

There's a second way to do it... (and this works in all windows os since 98)... Start/Control Panel/System icon
now, in XP, click the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Click the plus next to Modems, highlight your modem there, then hit the Delete Key (or on the top, click Action and Uninstall). Once done, click Action and Scan For Hardware Changes (in other windows versions, you can click Refresh)... this will find the modem, and then again tell windows you want to choose the location for the driver, and point it to your floppy....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Looks like more excellent advice from Tim. If you still can't get it installed as a Zoom modem, why not call Zoom and see if they'll send out an install disk.

If you want it to dial faster use the following string s11=50 You'll go to properties>advanced and type it in.