Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W98SE machine ridiculously slow but not malware(?)

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
What I type in blue is what you type what I type in red is the action you do
eg Enter means press the enter key.
Go to Start>Run regedit ok
Clicking on the + signs navagate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS
when you get to the IOS folder click on this once it should open and show some files on the right. In the right hand pane can you see NOIDE?
Then just close registry editor by clicking on the close x (top right hand corner)
Remember we are only looking do not change anything. If you do not understand what to do then do nothing and come back to me.

This is a link that might help you find the floppy driver
Dell Downloads

Have you got a dell diagnostic floppy disk?
Do you have a windows 98 cd or do you know some one who does
When you checked the performance tab did it list a driver? if yes is it this one?
If the driver name listed as causing MS-DOS Compatibility mode is Mbrint13.sys,
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 12 January 2006 - 02:28 AM.

Advertisements

curlytop

curlytop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
in the .....VxD\IOS folder, there are 3 items

name data
(default) (value not set)
Start 00
StaticVxD "*IOS"

not a NOIDE in sight

I have all of the disks you mention and have been to the Dell web site multiple times. My problem is I don't know what I am looking for. I see no reference to drivers under a perfrmance tab, and since the floppy is now listed as an "unknown device", the device manager does not give me any driver references. Is a "driver" one file with a specific extension? multiple files?

Your last sentence about Mbrint13.sys appears to be incomplete--I don't understand.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Bugger Not the answer I was looking for, The NOIDE should have been the file we were looking for
to fix the compatability mode. Everything on the Microsoft tech site points to that being the problem.
I will have to search some more.
My last line was a file name I was looking for in the performance tab.
Do you have a service tag number on your computer if yes PM the number to me DO NOT Post it here.

We might have to give the diganostic disk a try. I have the Manual for your computer it shows how to run the diganostic disk. If you would like me to email it to you PM me your email address DO NOT Post it here.
I will continue searching for an answer.
Cheers
Peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts

then have to go into setup and call up the floppy set up, change to auto (rather than OS)

Do you have the optionin setup instead of auto to choose 3.5" ? If yes choose this

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Right click on my computer> properties>performance>file system>trouble shooting>
Is the box Disable all 32 bit protected mode drivers ticked if yes untick it and click ok then reboot
Any difference?
Go to the dos prompt
C:\windows>cd .. enter ther is a space after cd
c:>type config.sys enter
what is in here
c:>type autoexec.bat enter
what is in here
Will I send you the manual so we can try the diganostic disk?
Cheers
Peterm