Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

...my ip address...

• Please log in to reply

shytwilightwolf

shytwilightwolf

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: ...some ppl in this chatroom know my ip address...n im kinda scared they know stuff about me n maybe where i live....n i dont know how to protect my ip address...plzz help...im really worried... :)

Advertisements

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

...some ppl in this chatroom know my ip address

I wouldn't worry about it to much. As long as you keep your system up-to-date with the proper Windows updates and service packs, run/configure a firewall, and have AV software fully updated at all times and check your log files and use encryption on files and folders (or simply EFS for NTFS partitions. Then you should block most people. Theres a lot more to it but this a just a starter step. But there are those that can surely bypass such security features. Are you behind a router? Also, what type of internet connection do you have? 56k, ADSL, CABLE? If your on ADSL, Cable etc.. normally you can surf into the modems GUI and see when the lease expires and a new IP address is leased to you. In command prompt for XP it's ipconfig /all.

Most people will run your IP address through a simple WHOIS server for some usefull information. Useful information is in bold.

example.

Server Used: [ whois.arin.net ]

216.93.104.37 = [ ]
OrgName: CoreComm - Voyager Inc.
OrgID: COREC-20
Address: 4660 S. Hagadorn Suite 320
City: EAST LANSING
StateProv: MI
PostalCode: 48823

NetRange: 216.93.0.0 - 216.93.127.255
CIDR: 216.93.0.0/17
NetName: VOYAGER98
NetHandle: NET-216-93-0-0-1
Parent: NET-216-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: E0.NS.VOYAGER.NET
NameServer: E1.NS.VOYAGER.NET
NameServer: E2.NS.VOYAGER.NET

Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate: 1998-10-08
Updated: 2005-08-30
OrgTechHandle: HV-ORG-ARIN
OrgTechName: Voyager.Net
OrgTechPhone: 1-517-324-8940
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]
ARIN WHOIS database last updated 2005-12-10 19: 10
Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Applications like nmap, netcat, Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), retina, will help in breaching security applications. Check out http://tor.eff.org/ for assisting in anonymous surfing. Also, look into configuring a proxy server to work with your browser when you surf the internet. Again, it will 'assist' in a little anonymity but not much. Hope this helps.

Edited by Irongeek, 11 December 2005 - 04:32 PM.

shytwilightwolf

shytwilightwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: Thanks, i appreciate the reply. My internet is through a wirlesss router from my bro's room...although the router isnt connected to my computer. I have cable...and umm...and yea i have a firewall on my comp...the people that knew my ip address in the chatroom blamed me for something i didnt even do...and they said they might report me...even tho i didnt do n e thing...thats why im kinda worried that they can do it with my ip address...i hope not tho. kinda scared.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if they report you to the admin's of the chatroom or whatever...the only thing you can do is attempt to talk to them about what is going on....any firewall stuff isn't gonna help you stop from getting banned from a chatroom....any ip address that they have for your from a chat room (assuming IRC?)....won't really do them any good as far as hacking you or something like that...the ip they have is too broad and deffinitly not specific enough to target your personal machine...all they have is your isp IP address....i woldn't worry about it too mcuh...and like i said...if you're worried about being banned...talk to the admin staff of your chat location and try to explain yourself

shytwilightwolf

shytwilightwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea, they reported me to the admin of the chatroom i think and yea the chatroom was IRC...cuz he was talking in the main area about me....n they dont give me a chance...they just keep blaming me and being mean to me...they r real jerks there...i think i should just stay away from that chatroom....cuz i mean...its not really safe i guess....they banned me for a few minutes once then i left and im not going back...i wouldnt want to go back....but yea....thanks for the help...appreciate it. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
problem solved....don't go back

shytwilightwolf

shytwilightwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yup...thanx...so even if they remember my ip address now...they cant do anything with can they?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not that you need to worry about...almost all threats on IRC are hollow...most people who care enough about what you do in an IRC chat room...have very little computer knowledge...and are generally...well stupid....as long as they're not an IRCop...then you're fine....and if they were an IRCop...you'd know about it by now

shytwilightwolf

shytwilightwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh ok...yea they r mostly stupid...no doubt about that...yea i proly would know about it by now if it was an IRCop...thanx a lot! :tazz: