Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Have I broken my friend's external usb drive?

• Please log in to reply

pb1206669

pb1206669

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

First time caller...

I have done a really stupid thing -- I unplugged my bud's hard drive with out unmounting it. Now, when I plug it back in, it whirs and clicks and sputters, over and over. And I can't mount it.

I'm working under linux (mandrake 9.1) and the external hd is a nameless (?) usb without it's own power supply.

Have I destroyed it? Can I fix it?

HELP!

Mark

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I very much it is broken if it is you are the unluckiest person in the world, i would see if it works on Windows XP.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If the disk was removed without unmounting, it will be marked as such, so you need to check the filesystem. If you know the mount point or device name, you can try using the command "fsck DEVICE" and see if it has problems and/or can correct issues with the filesystem.

If the device is listed in /etc/fstab, then you can use the mount point instead of the device name. You might want to check to see since that can tell you about it.

You might also check the log files to see if it reporting an error (/var/log).

pb1206669

pb1206669

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the useful suggestions. Luckily, I didn't fry it. I didn't do anything to correct the problem and it seems to have disappeared. (I hate when that happens, but at least I'm back to work.)