Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

turning off on-board graphics

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have just got an AGP card for my K7N2G-L mobo and i haven't installed it yet as when i first bought this PC i read on some forums about how i need to turn off the on-board graphics,before i install the card.

I read this a while ago and MSI replaced some boards[it said]because some poeple just added the card without first turning OFF the board graphics,and that damaged the mobo apparently.
How exactly do i turn OFF the on-board graphics in BIOS ?

I can't find the mobo manual but i D/L 'ed it and i'm none the wiser now.I don't play games but the on-board graphics are poor to say the least and wmv files look very blocky when i view them.It's a ATI RX 9250 128mb AGP card that i have and i have the standard on-board graphics TV-out bracket is still installed that i know i will need to remove too.
I obviously don't want to damage anything which is why i'm asking the experts[you]before i proceed.I know that this board has a bottleneck from the on-board graphics and this will bypass that,and some poeple i've spoke to have never heard of this problem but i assure you i did read about it about 6 months ago.

My board is version 1 BTW and i'm running 2 x 512mb PC 3200 ram.It all works perfectly well and i just need to install this card properly,which is brand new BTW.I thought the on-board graphics would be OK but i was wrong and they're not very good,hence the AGP card.Thanks to anyone who helps :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look through the screens to disable onboard graphics, press F10 to save and exit, type Y, press enter

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thankyou Keith but i already know that bit about how to get into BIOS but when i do it i can't find any reference to the on-board graphics.
I have had a good look several times and just looked again after reading your reply,but i still don't know where it is[on-board graphics]in BIOS.

I have looked through every heading and i still can't seem to find it ?
I also went to MSI homepage but although my board is not that old they have NO information on it ?
They have plenty on the other K7 boards but not mine ?

There are various headings-such as standard CMOS features-Advanced BIOS features-Advanced chipset and several others that i'm sure you know all about.

Which of the main headings in BIOS do i need to access in order to find the on-board graphics and disable them ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you look at advanced then chipset configuration, the northbridge handles graphics priority, which will be PCI for the card, press F10 etc

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Many boards automatically turn off the onboard graphics when a separate graphics card is installed. You may not find an option to do it specifically.

You should just be able to shove it in, switch it on and off you go. All Windows'll do is say its found a new card and ask you for some drivers which you can grab from Windows Update or ATI's website.

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks Keith,that's what i wanted to know and thanks too Neil but it's a peculiarity of this BIOS version on this board that is why it's different to others and needs to be done manually,at least that's what i gather from what i've read.

I think newer BIOS's have solved this but i aren't risking it and want to make sure it's OK,thanks guys.
Time for a newer version BIOS perhaps ?,cheers. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would run with the current BIOS as you can fit the card then see if there are any problems first