Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

high speed internet on windows 98 first edition

• Please log in to reply

ihardy

ihardy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
i recently gave my sister a old pc so they can have the internet, the pc has the right hardware spec but because they are running first edition windows 98 they cant have broadband. is there a way to get high speed internet running on that OS

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
USB support under the original Windows 98 was hit and miss.

You could always buy a router and an older network card, if it doesn't have one already. Newer network cards aren't supported under Win98 original. but even that version of Windows should be able to connect to a router.

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
yeh i know wat u mean about usb hit and miss, i cant get my mp3 player nor my memory stick workin on it.
the problem with ur idea is that she aint very gd with computers. they only have one pc(she dont live with me)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could always try another OS either a newer windows version or linux.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Neil Jones is right about using the router. I've connected machines with 75mhz to the internet through the router, and if you're dealing with most any modern protocol the router is easy to set up, and then just choose the LAN connection with the router's IP as the DHCP server address. You may want to clone the MAC address of the main machine in the router setup.