Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tainted Mustard...?

• Please log in to reply

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok... Heres the deal. I am not a fan of mustard at all. I don't eat it but I have it. Around 3 weeks ago, I looked on the back of a NEW mustard squeeze bottle and it said "Date date, 2003" so I threw it away. I thought "No way did they just sell us mustard 2 years over its expiration date...". So I don't think much about it untill right now when I'm looking through my fridge for something to eat. There it is, again, saying JUL 29, 04.

Is this supposed to be an expiration date, or is this when it was made? This is insane... 2 mustards in a row that are years past their expiration date?

Ok, I just saw it.
BEST WHEN PURCHASED BY: SEE ABOVE

WOW. WOW. WOOOOOOOOW. What is this?!?!??!?! Horrible! This mustard has almost been used up by my family and that is DISGUSTING!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not really alot of use by dates are complete rubbish, there is alot of things in tins and bottles that have expiry dates that are within a year or two that can actually be good after ten years of sitting on a shelf, especially if it hasnt been opened, things like christmas cake(not sure if you have traditional christmas cake in the states ive never seen it, lots of fruit and brandy if you didnt know) can keep for ten or twenty years and actually taste better when you go to eat them.

But you cant have use by dates get way to old that bad apparently just in case, things like tinned food as long as it was tinned properly can last indefinately, and sauces if unopened can also last near indefinately as long as the dont contain to much of eggs or milk or if they arent very acidic.

I wouldnt worry about it if it was off you would have noticed when you ate it, and you really would have noticed afterwards.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I wouldn't know if it was tasting wierd because I hate mustard and rarely have it...

How would mustard stand on shelves for 2 years though? Seams a little long for any product...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Stuff sits on shelves for ages just depends if it gets bought they tend to fill it from the front being lazy as stuff gets taken they dont often check stuff like condiments that keep for a very long time, obviously dairy products and meat get checked all the time but other stuff will just sit there for a long time its not often for alot of shops for them to shut the place down for a few days and take a full inventory and check dates.

Should still be fine as long as it hasnt been opened, there is also a differnce between best before and use by dates, after the best before or purchase buy dates it is still edible its just wont be as "good" although you shouldnt notice anything, somethings get better as they age as well.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I think it is perfectly fine but I'm still having trouble seeing as though anything, even yuck mustard, could sit on a shelf for 2 years. Isn't that like a health hazard (Not hazardous to your health but still violates many codes)?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Depends on the country how strict people are, but why throw out perfectly edible food its a bit wasteful. I like mustard, although not the english or french kind that makes me gag, i nearly died when i bought a hot dog in paris once, french mustard should just be banned altogether.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm no chemist....but...i'm pretty sure...the shear acidity (and nasty grossness :tazz:) of mustard would make it near impervious to going bad...so far the only way i've ever been able to tell that mustard had "gone bad" was that it was a little liquidy...but...even then...you just shake it up..and it's back to it's former yellow grossitude... :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
oooh ooh im a chemist, the acidity will help it resist it but nothing never goes off, mustard is good its best mixed with a little ketchup. I wouldnt worry about condiments and tins they keep a very long time especailly when sealed most things have a consume within x months once opened as once sealed they keep a very long time.

Mustard is good though its quite nice as long as its not real mustard its just the american stuff that is nice, the other stuff is death inducingly spicy. I think some mustards can go off like english mustard because it has eggs or something in it, most dont though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the 4 things that will survive a nuclear holocaust
#1 cockroaches
#2 Twinkies
#3 mustard
#4 Joan rivers (just thinking of her makes my skin crawl)

Edited by dsenette, 13 December 2005 - 11:39 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is joan rivers the really old one with all the plastic surgery. I cant beleive a thread about the use by dates on mustard is going on this long.

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Thanks but its too late. I burned the grossness ^_^. I wonder if they use mustard to melt down and decay garbage...